Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

pioneer pl-117d
pioneer pl-117d
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2002, 09:00 PM   #1
zoombies is offline zoombies
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Default pioneer pl-117d

Well, I just got started with my record collection. I have a pioneer pl-117d. Though maybe it's not anything hifi, i was looking for some ideas on improving it, thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2002, 08:12 PM   #2
zoombies is offline zoombies
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
ok, maybe I'll rephrase the question. Where can I find info. on improving an existing turntable?
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 09:03 AM   #3
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
pioneer pl-117d
Quote:
Originally posted by zoombies
ok, maybe I'll rephrase the question. Where can I find info. on improving an existing turntable?
The PL117 was the fully auto version of the PL112/PL115D lineup. Representative of the CEC tuntables that got churned out in the late 70s.

Some things to look at:

1/ align the cartridge... the factory alignment guide is way off. and tighen the headshell and headshell screws (the headshell has a little rubber washer -- toss it
2/ improve the base (or throw it out completely and start over ;^)
3/ making the table less automatic -- fully manual is best.
4/ i'm sure the arm could benefit from some attention. tweaking the tension on the bearings, damping spurious resonances.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2004, 05:00 PM   #4
altenuta is offline altenuta  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Whidbey Island Washington
Default Pioneer PL 117D Advise

I have an old Pioneer PL 117D turntable that has been in the attic for years. My kid's recently discovered it and want to use it to liten to my old Jazz and Rock Records. Problem is the stylus is missing.(Cartridge is a Stanton 500) and the platter isn't turning. I don't know anything about fixing it.

My question, is it a belt or direct drive? Is it worth fixing up?

Al
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2004, 11:26 AM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...862&highlight=

for some mods.

sreten.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2004, 11:27 AM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
Default Re: Pioneer PL 117D Advise

Quote:
Originally posted by altenuta
I have an old Pioneer PL 117D turntable that has been in the attic for years. My kid's recently discovered it and want to use it to liten to my old Jazz and Rock Records. Problem is the stylus is missing.(Cartridge is a Stanton 500) and the platter isn't turning. I don't know anything about fixing it.

My question, is it a belt or direct drive? Is it worth fixing up?

Al
The belt has probably come off the motor spindle.

Not a fan of the Stanton 500 cartridge, see the above post.

sreten.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2004, 11:45 AM   #7
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

1/ align the cartridge... the factory alignment guide is way off. and tighen the headshell and headshell screws (the headshell has a little rubber washer -- toss it
2/ improve the base (or throw it out completely and start over ;^)
3/ making the table less automatic -- fully manual is best.
4/ i'm sure the arm could benefit from some attention. tweaking the tension on the bearings, damping spurious resonances.

dave
JMO on some points :

1) agreed, also see the link in the above post.
2) The base / plinth is fine as the turntable has a seperate subchassis.
3) This is an arguable point, as the deck can become quite difficult
to use. Personally I'd leave the automatic functions alone, as you
need to be quite skilled to leave in the bits you do need to stop
and start the turntable.
4) See the link in the above post.

sreten.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


pioneer pl-117dHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pioneer DVL-909 ashok Digital Source 4 26th May 2007 07:05 AM
Pioneer PD-S 802 mvaccarino Digital Source 0 8th November 2006 10:52 AM
Pioneer SX-780 aaronlubelski Solid State 8 25th May 2005 06:24 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 16.67%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki