Rewire for SME 3009 II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, my first post and I hope it works.
I recently aquired a SME 3009 II Improved but one of the internal wires is 5mm too short to reach the cartridge. I need to find a replacement wiring loom for the arm and have emailed SME many times but no response.
Can anyone out there suggest where I might find a solution.

Have you tried phoning SME?
I'm rather surprised that you haven't had a response to your e-mails, as their after-sales service is usually second to none, and virtually all parts are still available.
Failing that, how about Origin Live, who rewire Regas with 'exotic' stuff at fairly reasonable prices - they might be willing to sell you a bit or do the job for you.
Personally, I'd use some Lizt wire from an old RF transformer - free, flexible, and supposedly good audio performance.
If the worst comes to the worst or you want a cheap solution, could you extend the existing wire with a bit of enamelled copper?

I've had the same problem, but managed to free up enough wire to solder on the tag. Remove the grub screw securing the headshell to the arm and VERY carefully pull the headshell off. Note that the solder tags are too big to go through the hole in the shell. You may find a loose knot of the wires inside the tube. Carefully unpick the knot using something pointed to free up that extra bit of wire. Feed the wire through the small hole in the headshell and solder on the tag. Then put the headshell back on and re-align it so your stylus is at 90 degrees to the record surface.

SME did quote me an overhaul for my arm, but at a cost of GBP 204.00!!!!!!

A couple of additions to my last post:

1. remove the stylus and put it somewhere safe.
2. Very carefully pull the connectors from the back of the phono cartridge. Note which wires go where if your cartridge doesn't have colour coded pins. Take care or you will break the wires from the connectors.
This will give a bit of slack so you can get at the wires inside the arm tube.
Now carry on as in my last post.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.