Lenco L75 Help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was given a Lenco L75 TT. The heavy platter type. The styli looked worn, so I had it replaced with a new one. When playing an LP it emits a high pitched whine/sqeak, which is then amplified through the speakers. I am sure there is nothing rubbing. And I am sure it does not come from the table as you can only hear it when the needle is on the record.

As it gets further throught the record it becomes intermittent and then disappears altogether. Apart from the whine it sounds fine.

Any thoughts as to what might be happening?

Thanks.

I'm not clear where this sound is coming from.
Is it coming through the speakers?
Is it mechanical?
Does it get louder or softer if you turn the volume knob?
If it's coming through the system, is it one channel or both?
There are numerous possibilities as to what's causing the noise. It could be dry or worn bearings. It could be that you have an intermittant open ground connection, which would leave the signal lead squealing. The motor could be giving trouble (again, could be the bearings).
Without more specific information, it's difficult to say.
I used to own a Lenco and had trouble with the signal leads in the tonearm. Whether that was true for all the others I couldn't say, as I was the only person I knew who owned one.
All things being equal, the stylus is the part that wears out. It's the part you replace. That's not to say that people don't replace the entire cartridge from time to time, but usually to upgrade the cartridge...not because it's worn out.

Grey

The sound is coming from both the styli or tonearm (its hard to tell exactly) and is then heard through the speakers. Yes, when you turn up the volume it does get louder. It seems to be more prominent on certain records.

I have put a ground wire from the tonearm to the amp GND. This removed the hum from the amp, but the other problems remain.

The arm on the L75 is indeed a knife edge bearing...BUT...the knife edges on the arm locate in elastomeric (soft plastic) V-blocks.

These degrade badly and you often see arms on L75s at an angle, 'cause one of the plastic V-blocks has disintegrated.

I don't think replacements are available.

I replaced the V bearings with pieces of Lead shaped into a V and bedded into bluetack. Works OK, though sometimes it tends to lift out of the V's and float. The main problem I now have is that the anti skating weight is completely missing. I have the main counter weight balanced excentrically to compensate and that gets it working.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.