Dual or Thorens turntable best choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
technical or subjective reason

I have no particular interest in the measured parameters of turntables. If you care about this, few can compete with a Technics 1200.
As for subjective performance i currently have a 701, 124 and LP12 in daily use and a 301, 401, 126 sitting in cupboards. The Dual with a Denon 103 is every bit as enjoyable as the Linn/Ittok/Ortofon Kontrapunkt b. Whereas the Linn/Ortofon combo has deeper and wider soundstage and better frequency extremes, the Dual has better drive and pace and very possibly is also better on piano music. As for value - there is hardly much comparison.
Just my opinion.

Hello,

the problem with 606 is that is a direct drive (like 701 i think) and Direct Drive age as well as Belt Drive. With belt drive you can change belt and it's ok. But at this price is a good

I have found a Dual CS522 on ebay for 25€. It's a good turntable and for 22€ I have found a new needle in Germany. With a special adapter this turntable can accept any cartrige. I will tweak the case soon.

I like Thorens 125 and 124 but I have a sentimental reason to buy a Dual.
For less than 100€ I will have a good turntable in good condition with new parts good tweak and buy a turntable is a good thing which I recommend to do.

I will use it with a good tube preamplifier, tube amplifier and full range driver, .... that is all happiness ("que du bonheur") ;)

Cordialy

Pascal.

turntable q's

I've owned both Dual and Thorens.
My first real quality table was a Dual 1225, vintage 1978 or 1979, with a Stanton Cartridge. I really liked it, and one really nice thing was the way the tonearm was suspended.

The mounting springs on the tonearm provided "dynamic" tracking, which meant (not that you'd ever do this) you could lift up the table during play, and the arm would continue to track flawlessly, no matter what angle you held the table off the stand.

Eventually, my electronics improved so I could hear the rumble from the friction idler drive through the platter, and I moved onto the Thorens.

My Thorens was a TD160B, belt drive, blank arm mounting upon which I installed an Infinity Black Widow arm. What a cool arm!!

My cartridges of choice were AT30 moving coil, (bass was a bit boomy) and a Shure V15 w/ Micro-ridge tip. What a phenomenal combination. No rumble, speed was very constant, sound was excellent.

A few years ago, the AC drive motor went to hell, and now the Thorens collects dust in my basement because a replacement motor is $100.

Hello,

I have received my CS522 today. Beautiful. I would like to open chassis for add "blackson" (asphalt), would like to change DIN connectors for Gold Chassis RCA and If I can, change boxe by a wood heavy box.
But my problem is that I don't know if this turntable could be open and how to open it, I don't see screws and bolts on the bottom ?
Does somebody know how to open it ?

Thanks

Pascal.

I know it's stupid question but like we say in france "il vaut mieux un qui sait que dix qui cherchent" ;)

Hi,

To open a Dual TT, you have 3 screws on the of the chassis.
Formy 606 it looks like that :
screw.jpg

I thinks it's the same for your CS-522:
http://www.compassnet.com/concept/tables/522.htm

To remove the chassis you have to turn out the 3 screws. After that press the chassis mounting scrows and remove the chassis from the box.

Regards,

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.