input output diferential in LM317

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
I want to make a power supply with a LM338, the Lm338 can give 5A but only when the input-output differential is less than 10V aprox, and I have 50V at the input fron the rectifier.. if I want output ranges less than 10 V...
Can somebody explain how can I do to make that the regulator sees only 10V betwenn input and output?
Thanks!
(eva si puedes escribeme al correo y me lo explicas en español que en ingles me cuesta.el correo es pl_minguez@hotmail.com
gracias!)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can use a simple preregulator, like an emitter-follower, that lowers the input voltage to say 20V. But then that preregulator has to dissipate 30V at 5Amps = 150Watts!

This kind of application screams for a switching regulator, 48V in, 10V out.
Or maybe you can change the raw supply to something less than 50V?

Jan Didden

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

and I have 50V at the input fron the rectifier..

Or maybe you can change the raw supply to something less than 50V?

If those 50V are coming from a ~ 35AC xfmr winding which is FWB rectified into a capacitive load you could use a FW C input rectifier instead.
This would give you ~ 25VDC at full xformer secondary current capacity and a lot easier to step down but at 5A this would still mean a whopping 75W of heat.

I'm just mentioning this alternative as it often seems to me as if everyone automatically thinks FWB and C input which in cases like this can work against you.

Cheers, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.