One more DIY TT is born

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right from the kitchen table...
* Splitted 16 kg CLD platter
* Ladegaard
* Teres motor/controller

Attachments

• lm - diy1.jpg
    lm - diy1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2,730
Re: Re: One more DIY TT is born

rif said:

What's a CLD platter?

Constraint Layer Damping is extremely efficient method to absorb vibration by placing a viscous layer (sorbotane in my case)between two rigid ones (acrylic and aluminum on upper plate).
Of course, for unsuspended TT the whole assembly rigidity is a must (my upper acrylic plate is directrly coupled to subplatter by means of three bronze cones).
Note, the central pin is decoupled from bearing for sake of bearing-induced vibrations isolation.

BobM said:

Now for the all important question ...
... how does it sound?

Well, in terms of isolation from external and stylus-induced vibration it is close to perfection (IMHO), it means deep black background without a shadow of HF roll-off.
Teres motor/controller does extremely good job: piano sounds are rock stable, no traces of wow.
As for tonearm/cart synergy, I feel my high comliance Grado Statement Sonata is not completely happy with Ladegaard's lateral high mass: occasionally a low frequency resonance-like artefacts (call is distortions) may be heard on certain records (complicated orchestral music). I think I shall give Denon 103 a try (looks like a general consensus here) - stay tuned...

Attachments

• splitted platter.jpg
    splitted platter.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2,035
bearing

Conventional type bearing: bronze housing, SS spindle, SS ball, delrin thrust plate. Lower end of the housing is closed by threaded plug with O-ring sealing, I just tried to keep manufacturing simplier. The bearing is placed well within the platter, in order to keep platter CofG closer to the bearing surface geometrical center.
Aircraft grade hydraulic oil of low viscousity is used, since the viscous friction is substantional, due to very tigh fit and large bearing surface area.

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,819
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.