my DIY Turntables and DIY tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
oui, le vinyl a été redécouvert récemment par les forumeurs
on s'y intéresse beaucoup!!!
envoie donc un mail à JéromeB ou plutot un MP
il te donnera les trucs pour t'inscrire
tu verras ta platine dur le thread Vinyle,
moi je suis 3docjowe" ici et sur le Vinyl Engine (que tu dois connaitre, sinon c'est un must!! cours t'y inscrire... et je suis "stasis" sur ls3/5a

salut et à bientot

jo.

I want to build your tonearm

This is either for roger or jokerweb.
Roger your arm looks awsome, i cant belive that from redily avalible items and it appears that construction is very straightforward.

first how do yo attach the inner ring to the arm tube. do you epoxy it or do you have a set screw system.

I have avalible to me hollow carbon fibre arrows. These are lighter and stronger (more rigid) than the alumun. Is there any reason i should not use this arrow shaft.

Did you use pvc flexy rings for any specific reason or was it just avalible. I can get pvc here in the us but have not found a place (or distributer) in the us that sell the units you used.

Thanks for your time.
Ed Owens
FortyTwo

Is Roger Waters still around

I am not shure if HE is still checking this forum. His last post was a while ago. If not if anyone could answer my questions above that would greatly help. (glue/attchment to pivot, using graphite/carbon)

One extra concern. I was talking to a friend who went through some engeneering schooling and he raised concerns about magnesium. I was told it is flammible when it contacts water.

excuse me, but with my work, I do not have any more time to read the forum. :(

I used plastic by facility and magnesium because I had some, but all other materials is possible, carbon is better than aluminium for the arm, magnesium can be replaced by aluminium, etc

magnesium and aluminium are flammable in the shape of a cloud of dust, like the corn dust (flour) in a grain silo !
magnesium is flammable in contact with water, but at very high temperature, sodium ignites at a temperature of 15°C

ring the aluminium PVC and tube are assembled "in force", but to stick is better !

:)

Thank you Roger Waters,

I have started making my tonearm now. Last night i machined the 2 outer rings out of acrillic, and this week i will finish the smallest. All i need to obtain is the clock peices. I plan on making my headshell and counter-weight out of acrillic as it would complement my table quite nicely.

I am still waiting for the bearing to come back from the machinist. Hopefully this week.

FortyTwo

Looks pretty good!

I'd not be ready to DIY a tonearm like you tho...

I bought the 30TH anniversary "Dark Side Of The Moon" Pink Floyd, I was very impressed by the dynamics and the richness of details which a LP could contain!!!

Hehe, I was not surprised you chose this album, especially with your username. :angel:

Il faut toujours bien que les autres puissent lire!

from the lurking Inuit

I have made my own arm, started my own thread, but as it seems dead, thought I'd sneak in here with it. Sorry no photographs, just a "rendering" of it and my DIY turntable..

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65305&highlight=DIY+tonearm

Fortunately, it sounds way too good for the money spent, and is a take off of the "Altmann" tonearm. The arm looks ok in a DIY hack kinda way. The TT unit is a Conniseur BD1 replinthed in a Chinese Oak cutting board that has been cut and extended with aluminium square tubing. Recently a friend , seeing it for the first time thought it was a commercial offering:)

Anybody with even rudimentary tools and skill can make some sort of arm, whether unipivot, gimball, knife edge or air bearing. Thinking and making it look good is another matter. Kudos to those that are craftsmen. All the indications from RogerWaters,EC8010, and others are that they definitely are craftsmen while I on the otherhand am a hack.

DIY turntable

Hi, where did you get this beautiful platter bearing and how much
would it cost?

Attachments

• axeplateau.jpg
    axeplateau.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,875
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.