Stanton 500 AL Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Eric,

no idea about your Stanton. Probaly not among the top-notch MM cartridges else i would know it (snobbish me :) )

Spherical stylus: You need it, need it badly for pre-1958 records/pressings. And for ayn genuine "Dynagroove".
So my susggetion: Keep the Stanton for such and acquire another MM cartridge with sharper stylus, (Shure V15 maybe? ).
If you can lay your hands on a used or NOS V15IV, grab it, if you feel it's to expinsivish, tell me, i may grab it.

Economics Involved

Thanks Bernard, I do have a V-15 already, and sorry, no it is not up for grabs.
The 500 AL I speak of is standard equipment for DJ's, as it allows back cueing.
I have not had a chance to have a proper listen to one in a quiet home environment.
These are quite cheap (AUS$ 55.00), and I was/am considering one of these as a retrofit to a customers turntable that has a stylus that is no longer available.
I suppose I'll just try it out, tell the customer that it is fantastic, and report back what I find.

Regards, Eric.

There is the Stanton 500MkII in the same price range (as the 500Al) that is more suited. Or the 680HiFi at about double the price. They are normally not in stock at dealers but can be obtained quickly. Both can be fitted with 78rpm needles if wanted.

Golden Oldie ?

Thanks Guys,
Since my post I have learned that the AL is NLA, but the Mk2 is, and the customer is down on his luck, and has donated the TT to me.
This is an old B&O linear tracker with MC cart that is no longer available.
I was prepared to modify the arm so that a conventional mounting cart could be used.
The original is an Ortofon style plug in cart assy.
Any ideas on an economical cart to suit, plug in type or modify arm ?

Regards, Eric.

With the ortofon plug-in mount, do you mean P-mount? If so, Stanton has the L720EE. This is an eliptical MM.

I just put a 680hifi on my Lenco 75, and it is good for its price. Also ordered a 78rpm for it, but this has a 2 month delivery time. Payed about 100 euro for each of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.