Kenwood KD-500 and the Black Widow NEED HELP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all... New to the site and like what I see. I have a little problem that maybe someone could help me with. I just bought the Kenwood KD-500 turntable and it has the Infinity Black Widow tone arm on it. I'm using an Ortofon OM super 10 cartridge on it, but the cartridge alignment tool I have will not set me up. I see in the manual for the Black Widow that there is a template for this set up, but I don't have it. I've been trying to set it up with 3 diffrent protractors or cartridge alignment tools, but its still off. Please Help Me!!!! Thank you... Eric JC

You need to check that the arm is mounted the correct
distance from the centre spindle for its geometry.

If its not then the cartridge will be twisted in the headshell
when correctly aligned for two point minimum tracking error.

You need to determine what is causing your difficulty.

Its a good policy to presume all secondhand cartridges need
a new stylus, in this case I'd fit the superior OM20 stylus.

:) sreten.

Is it possible that the arm board is mounted incorrectly? You can attach the circular arm board in any of the three orientations that allows you to bolt it down, and since the Black Widow uses the SME moveable pivot point for alignment (rather than moving the cartridge relative to the arm) the way the board is mounted will affect whether you can move the pivot far enough back or forward relative to the spindle. Some people mount the arm with the sliding platform parallel to the side, which may be cosmetically nice, but limits the range of adjustment significantly compare to mounting the platform in line with the spindle. Check to see if changing the orientation helps. If not, its possible that the arm was removed from the board and then remounted reversed -- this would be easy to do if the board wasn't in the turntable when the arm was mounted.

Thank you for your replies... Bob, that would be great if you would do that for me..... This is the set up I have. When looking down on the Kenwood KD-500. Using the holes that are in the arm bored, the tone arm mounting plate is set to where the spindle and tone arm mount angle are just about inline with eachother. I've talked to a few people on this to check if it is right. and sent pic's to make sure.... I guess its ok on that part. The tone arm came with the right templates for the set up... I guess with out them your kinda stuck.. Bob, if your the same Bob I've talked too.. I sent you an e-mail with my address.... Thanks again Bob....Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.