Batterysupply for RIAA-stage??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello fellows

I´ve got an LC-Audio MM-RIAA stage and I would like to replace my existing powersupply to a batterysupply. (just want to see if it does any audiable defferance). It needs +/- 12-17V, on the PCB there are 3 "inputs" marked +13v, -13v and GND. I suppose if I have a battery the +pole goes to +13v, the -pole to -13v, but what about the GND, where do I connect the ground??? :confused:

Use two batteries, one from ground to +, the other from ground to -. Naturally, the latter battery has its + terminal grounded, the former has its - terminal grounded.

You could build an active ground, but that's more comlicated than necessary.

Triple check all polarities before switching on your circuit!

Plysh,

I run a dact Line stage from batteries. Works very nicely. As a little advice don't skip on having 4 capacitors as they decribe in the dact website. Also, i have found out for reason i can't quite explain that bigger batteries make a huge difference in the bass. I am currently using some two 9 Ah 12v Batteries and it's a world of difference with the 4A i was using. 9Ah looks like overkill when you know the power comsumption of these modules , but i found it's very effective.
regards,
T

ALW measured lead cells and found them hideously noisy and heavily influenced by the load current, effects of current transients trailing long after the event itself.

I measured alkaline, which is low-noise indeed, and NiCd, which is of slightly higher noise, but suffers from unexplainable transient events once every few milliseconds.

So indeed you need a load of capacitors to get rid of the batteries' crap.

Still have to measure NiMH.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/regulators_noise4_e.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.