Opus 3 Cantus parallel tracking arm - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2013, 08:40 PM   #511
diyAudio Member

Bo's words on the Cantus arm

There is of course lot of different ways to make a tonearm. My goal for Cantus is in short: The cartridge tip shall read the information in the trac, on the same spot as it was cutted, This is not possible with a pivoted tonearm. The cartridge shall have a stable reference and not be able to "swing" i.e. there shalll not be a fundamental resonance in the system. This is not possible with a pivoted arm. To solve this there is two contact points, which makes the carriage, hold the cartridge to can move sideway but not get in resonance. There shall not be resonators coupled to the cartridge, such as the "organpipe" resonance that is common on most existing tonearms. I mean that when you have a tube almost one feet long coupled to the cartridge, the tube itself resonates on two feet and four feet tones approximately 300Hz and 600 Hz and overtones on this. By making the tonearmtubes very short, the resonace is forced up to higher frequencies, and by using a very small diameter on the tubes the resonance is reduced significantley. You can easely hear the tonearm resonance when you put down the cartridge in a quite trac on the record. When you compare the sound from Cantus with most of other tonearms you will find Cantus playing teh empty track, much quiter than other. There shall not be any other kind of energi storing in the system, flexible materials. All mechanical energi shall be converted to electric output from the cartridge. The vertical movement from the record, shall be damped. In Cantus it's solved by using ballbearing with a little sideway play. This means the contact point in the bearing is changed when the tonearm moves up and down. As the contact point is changed there is automaticly a damping, because it's not a resonant point. This is perhaps difficult to understand, so please give it some time and thoughts. The Cantus shall be possible to mount on most of recordplayers/turntables on the market, having a affordible price for musiclovers who is more intrested in the music than equipment, and be easy to repair if accidents appears. The tonearm tubes is made of hard nonmagnetic stainless steel. "Music shall swing - not tonearms" )! Sincerely Bo Hansson

Best regards Moray James.
Old 6th July 2013, 03:11 PM   #512
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Does someone have a link to the website I can't seem to find ittia.
Old 6th July 2013, 03:22 PM   #513
secanbj is offline secanbj  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Here is the link

Continuo

Regards
Anders
Old 6th July 2013, 03:30 PM   #514
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thank you Anders
Old 11th July 2013, 12:44 AM   #515
diyAudio Member

Hi Nanook,
Good to see you involved with Opus 3 Continuo with Cantus tonearm. To make it clear, are you a distributor for the turntable and tonearm or just a consultant?
Old 11th July 2013, 01:58 PM   #516
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Quote:
A lot of us have the Technics SL1200mk2 turntable
I have seen a Terminator tone arm on Technics LS1200.
Old 14th July 2013, 08:42 PM   #517
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default distributor or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiostar View Post
Hi Nanook,
Good to see you involved with Opus 3 Continuo with Cantus tonearm. To make it clear, are you a distributor for the turntable and tonearm or just a consultant?
audiostar and others: I had intended on trying a liscence for manufacturing of the tables here, and had started working on that until Bossse's untimely death. I have been working towards something "loose" with Haken (the current owner). I have made a plinth as per Bo's basic recipe (which I will not disclose as it was given in trust to me by Bo prior to his passing). Bo's basic concepts follow mine however, so it wasn't much of a stretch. I have a Continuo bearing courtesy of Moray (a buggered one apparently).and must fit it and add a motor. I have several DC candidates that meet or exceed the motor from the Continuo in terms of performance. I have several platters that I can use, but would prefer to use something similar to what the Continuo uses (aluminium, of not known mass.) which I do not have. I believe a reasonable platter should be used , one in the 3kg range (

The Cantus tonearm is, I think, quite nicely designed, and I have seen Moray's. However there are a few minor issues with it, most notably fit and finnish. The mechanical workings are fine, but the devil is in the details, and I think this is where Bo's arm has been ultimately let down. It should be mechanically smooth to operate, and should look the part as well. Regardless I do believe the Cantus and Continuo represent an incredible bargain. Haken has addressed some of the smaller details, but issues with a design for world-wide use is something that should be considered and as of this date (unless it has been and I am unaware of it) has not been. Good design and implementation need not cost more.
Old 15th July 2013, 08:21 PM   #518
diyAudio Member

Hi Nanook,
There are a lot of expensive high performing pivoted commercial tonearms out there. The Cantus tonearm is not expensive relatively speaking. Can the Cantus compete with those expensive tonearms? I look forward to your design
of the Opus 3 Continuo turntable with Cantus tonearm. Will this be out within a
year or will it take longer?
Old 29th July 2013, 06:28 PM   #519
diyAudio Member

I would suggest that it is the other way around, pivoted arms struggle to attempt to do what a mechanical linear tracking arm does. Pivoted arms are not capable of matching a linear arm they can never achieve zero tracking error. Best regards Moray James.
Old 7th February 2014, 04:33 PM   #520
diyAudio Member

Default more Clearaudio clone

From the holgerbarske.com site?

Click the image to open in full size.

And from the tag-produktdesign.de site