Opus 3 Cantus parallel tracking arm - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2010, 01:03 AM   #131
diyAudio Member

I did not notice that small problem either but I was thinking about two small v-grove bearings to make up a composite bearing for each of the two bearings you used. So there would be a separate bearing to roll on each rod.
Old 7th May 2010, 01:35 AM   #132
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sheldon: "I may misunderstand your intent, but it looks like the bearing would roll on one rod and slide on other."
It would require something like this. A triangle carriage on two rods, probably too heavy.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 7th May 2010, 02:20 AM   #133
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default here's a sketch of my previous post

as the title says....
Attached Images
File Type: png machanical Cantus Teflon.png (14.6 KB, 576 views)
Old 7th May 2010, 03:45 AM   #134
dtut is online now dtut  United States
diyAudio Member

Good Evening, all,

Nanook: Would larger bearings maybe ride over dirt and track imperfections better than tiny ones? Think 13" wheels compared to 17". Are cupped single bearings available?

DD: Making the tricycle light is possible. The rails will have to be aligned fairly precisely so the tricycle rolls freely but is stable. It's doable. Attractive idea.

Frank DeG: I'd appreciated any light you can shed on how to deal with resonances. The idea of a mechanical diode is intriguing and I'd like to hear more.
Old 7th May 2010, 04:00 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

Quote:
moray james:can you post a link or pictures of Tom Fletcher's Radial tracking unipivot arm?
I disassembled a Nottingham unipivot arm once and saw the inner working of its design. Inside the bearing housing, there are two metal rods, below the single pivot point, that park on a ball bearing that allows the arm to move horizontally and vertically but inhibit azimuth movement. There are many hybrid unipivot arms out there that use a ball bearing to stabilize the azimuth, like the Basis Vector, Continuum Copperhead, Graham Phantom, etc.. but they all have only two contact points, whereas the Nottingham has three.

The one arm that is closest in design concept is the clever Simon Yorke tonearm (Now, there's a designer whom I really admire!) that uses no ball bearing at all but uses a teflon sleeve with a guiding plate. Check picture of the tonearm from the S-9 model record player. I think the SY design is much simpler and more elegant. I also like his Bauhaus styling. Sorry to be off topic again. My mind is always at tangents. :-)

Old 7th May 2010, 04:41 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

Quote:
dtut: "Making the tricycle light is possible. The rails will have to be aligned fairly precisely so the tricycle rolls freely but is stable."
Maybe something like this, by having the two rods touching each other to avoid alignment problem or simply replace the two rods with one flat piece.

Old 7th May 2010, 04:52 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

Let's steal some DIY ideas from another forum!

http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60946 in Norwegian

Old 7th May 2010, 12:22 PM   #138
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Frank DeG: I'd appreciated any light you can shed on how to deal with resonances. The idea of a mechanical diode is intriguing and I'd like to hear more.
Here's a link to what I was refering to:

GOLDMUND - Technology - Mechanical Grounding

Cheers,
Old 7th May 2010, 03:53 PM   #139
wjlamp is offline wjlamp  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directdriver View Post

Maybe something like this, by having the two rods touching each other to avoid alignment problem or simply replace the two rods with one flat piece.

I follow your thinking.
Toying with the idea of a parallel tonearm,what about using your two bearings ,running on a triangular rod. Hanging from the bearing carrier ,making a T , two additional bearings on the vertical rod,with the armwand between them,like in radial tonearms? The main weight,will be below main bearings,and the arm will follow the ups and downs of warped discs.

B.L
Old 7th May 2010, 06:18 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

Speaking of triangle, here's a disassembled Souther arm that shows the triangular carriage with rollers on two quartz rails. I think having an extra roller complicates thing but at the same time it limits only to horizontal movement that allows manipulation of vertical bearing. It has plus and minus, no free lunch again.

Close up of the Souther successor, Clearaudio arm.

And here's quite a extensive collection of images of the arm.
http://www.aca.gr/forum/printview.php?t=1853&start=0

Clearaudio's answer to the Cantus. What's interesting is that the bearings are convex shape.

Last edited by directdriver; 7th May 2010 at 06:38 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!