let me see your tonearm!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for highres pictures of tonearms... I want to manipulate them digitally and print a giant poster to hang in my apartment.

If you give me the winning shot, I'll send you a copy of the poster... this is a big poster we are talking about here... approx value $300 to print.

Show me what you've got! artsy shots are appreciated!

Thanks,
Ross

How about this one.

Attachments

• tt.jpg
    tt.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,639
Re: COST ME AN ARM AND A LEG....

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Here's my baby ....

Hello Frank,

i had plenty of experience with this thing, i found that if i raise the air pressure to sonically desirable values then the slider tube tends to jam due to being pulled elliptical by the air pressure.

Otherwise i found it sounded quite good, better than i expected from the (weak looking) structure.

What i don't find alltoo desirable (as with any commercial tonearm) is that if you adjust one parameter (say .... VTA?) then you have to re-optimize a bundle of other parameters.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

i had plenty of experience with this thing, i found that if i raise the air pressure to sonically desirable values then the slider tube tends to jam due to being pulled elliptical by the air pressure.

Hmmm...Not sure how much pressure you tried to pass but if pressure's too high than the airseal will start to leak.

How you manage to create an elliptical pressure field in the incredibly small space between a round rod and an equally round slider I don't understand.
AT warns against too much airpressure as it may damage the "assy" (their speak for assembly).

I've had no problems with the standard airpump they supply for the past ten years.
All it takes to keep it going is a little cleaning of the main carrying rod, airpressure takes care of the rest.

What i don't find alltoo desirable (as with any commercial tonearm) is that if you adjust one parameter (say .... VTA?) then you have to re-optimize a bundle of other parameters.

You really surprise me here....
If there's one major reason I chose the AT over any other design then it's because it allows for VTA adjustment even while playing a record.
As it's a rack and pinion system, all it requires is being absolutely level.
If it's not then yes, all else will be off as well.
Logically, if you pull VTA too far upwards/downwards you'll lose tangency but then you can expect that with any arm of any type really.

All in all, I don't have any complaints about it.

Cheers,;)

Frank,

fdegrove said:
...Not sure how much pressure you tried to pass but if pressure's too high than the airseal will start to leak.

did not experience that, back then. I did not know about an airseal so i presume it stayed tight.

My buddies and me tried out back then that the arm's low frequency performance (sonically) became better with increasing pressure. But too much and the slider's bearing tube would be pulled to an oval profile.

How you manage to create an elliptical pressure field in the incredibly small space between a round rod and an equally round slider I don't understand.
Quite simple: the AT i tried out back then had a row of nozzles at 12:00 and one at 6:00 clockwise. So -- considered that the slider tube is thin-walled as well as precisely manufactured and with quite a narrow gap towards the cylindrical rail -- if the pressure exceeds a certain value, the air pressure deflects the formerly cylindrical profile of the slider tube to an oval profile tending to have a bigger inner dia (measured from 12:00 to 6:00 position) and a smaller inner dia (measured from 9:00 to 3:00 position) . If the pressure exceeds another value, the smaller elliptical dia will become so narraow that it clamps on the rail.
AT warns against too much airpressure as it may damage the "assy" (their speak for assembly).

see above: ifthe pressure exceeds a 3rd value, the oval deformation may become permanent.

I've had no problems with the standard airpump they supply for the past ten years.
All it takes to keep it going is a little cleaning of the main carrying rod, airpressure takes care of the rest.

understandable that AT supplies a pump keeping within safe limits, pressure-wise :)

You really surprise me here....
If there's one major reason I chose the AT over any other design then it's because it allows for VTA adjustment even while playing a record.
As it's a rack and pinion system, all it requires is being absolutely level.
If it's not then yes, all else will be off as well.
Logically, if you pull VTA too far upwards/downwards you'll lose tangency but then you can expect that with any arm of any type really.

For small VTA deviations you are right.
But vintage 1st pressings, like RCA Victor shaded dog or Mercury Living Presence may not do you the favor to have about 20° VTA, they rather may reside at 15°.

An old friend reported that on his Fidelity Research FR 66S (that's a 12" arm) he needed to lower his arms vertical pivot by about 20mm to get the VTA right for Mercurys -- that is 3.81° from level.

Opus3 or certain other modern pop labels OTOH are noticeably above level.

And with this vertical deviation a linear reack and pinion won't do, regardless if you adress tangentiality, offset angle (corrections if the cartridge's generator system is rotated towards the mounting flange) or whatever.

Now we have to add what the cartridge deviates from level, VTA-wise, plus or minus. For this reason i designed my linear trackers
for a VTA rage of minus 5° to plus 4° from level.
I don't believe i ever will need the +4° but with-5° limit, i don't think i have alltoo much headroom.

I cannot tell from daily life if my friends measurements are paranoid as i cannot adjust my SME V to such low VTA angles - the arm tube would crash into the vinyl edge, make that the platter edge. But to get it confirmed, i borrowed a 12" pivoted arm mounted an MC cartridges with a sharp stylus into it and made some plausibility tests with RCA shaded dog, Decca UK, Mercury, EMI. I found the Decca below level, RCA to be noticeably below level and the Mercury noticebaly below that.
So .... either i am as paranoid as my friend :) .... or his statements do describe reality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.