Platter material

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well the issue is that I want a disk that I don't have to balance or machine. But everything seems really expensive. MCMASTER has Nylon cast disks 4" thick at 12" diameter for ~$160. Thats the only pre-made disk I have found so far.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Milo

Hello,

acrylic (PMME) is really expensive, I got mine quite cheap from Thomas Scheu (www.scheu-analogue.com); you can use hard PVC instead (black would be nive too look at) and should be relatively cheap. But you won't get it that thick, I guess.

If I had to choose from zero I wouzld go for one or two inchjes of solid aluminium and on top of that a layer of same thicknes made out of acrylic or PVC.

On my website there are few thoughts about platter material, I read a few articles recently reviewing Transrotor Turntables whicha re offered with different platters, the differences wherer described exactly. But I can't recall everything now ...

Cheers
Christian.

krishu
thanks for the info. I was thinking about a sandwich type of thing, and actually I have a sheet of 1/4" UHMW that I could use as the top layer. UHMW is a Static Dissipative so I think that will be a good material, although I will need a way to keep the LP from slipping on its surface, maybe a rubber insert right at the label area and a LP clamp on the spindle. Jury is still out on the second layer but Polypropylene is cheep so I may go there, or ill just use an old aluminum platter from my gerrard lab 80.

Thanks for the help.

Milo

UHMW is a Static Dissipative

In general, it isn't. There are static dissipative grades available that contain semiconductive fillers.

If I could choose any material, it would be a highly-filled vinyl (PVC) or a hard rubber (up in the Shore D range), to provide mass loading and a reasonable acoustic match to the record. The price of the material is one thing, but you also have to consider that it will still probably need machining to get it flat and smooth enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.