Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2004, 10:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rega Planar with Marble Top ????

Hi !

I have recently purchased a Rega Planar 3 with a custom made Marble top that is exactly the same thickness as the original plinth thickness but placed on top of the planar plinth thus doubling it's total thickness. This marble top was made by the stone masons called Dohmanns & Gusew which are obviously german. Rega themselves can't seem to verify if they ever commmissioned any of these to be built but I have on unconfirmed advise heard that they did. I'm not sure if this is true or if it is simply someones project that I've picked up. There is a Gold badge placed on the Left hand side that gives it a model name of "CONTINUUM" and with the stone masons name that I have mentioned above on the badge under the model name. I have also included a piccy of the Rega in question and if anyone knows anything about it I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers,

Manfred.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rega with marble plinth.jpg (35.5 KB, 269 views)
Old 25th April 2004, 09:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very interesting.
How does it sound?

Thanks
Sergey
Old 25th April 2004, 09:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I haven't had it fully working as yet as I have to do a re-wire of the arm due to the red wire being broken by the previous owner when he changed the cartridge. I also am having a new lid made for it as the original Rega is tinted and I'm having a clear one that's also the next thickness grade up manufactured by a professional lid maker, this way it will show off the marbles beauty 24/7. I shall post more info as to how it's travelling once the arm is re-wired and the new MC cartridge is selected and fitted. Any suggestions ae to what sounds good on an RB-300 ??

Thanks for your interest,

Cheers from Oz.
Old 26th April 2004, 04:20 PM   #4
krishu is offline krishu  Europe
diyAudio Member

hello,

my experience with marble as a base underneath a rega planar were horrible. I can imagine the same for a plinth.

Other stones can be better.

Cheers
Christian.
Old 26th April 2004, 05:43 PM   #5
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LuvPioneer
I shall post more info as to how it's travelling once the arm is re-wired and the new MC cartridge is selected and fitted. Any suggestions ae to what sounds good on an RB-300 ??

Thanks for your interest,

Cheers from Oz.
Ortofon MC15 super mkII works well, its what I have in a RB250.
Slightly lusher and not as precise the high output Denon DL110.

sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!