AR turntable - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2004, 09:22 PM   #1
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
Default AR turntable

Well, I got my AR-XA a while back, but it had no cartridge. Thanks to planet10, now I've a cartridge. I just got it today, went to a local shop and got some screws, and boom .. its running great!

The turntable is in an immaculate condition on the outside. There's no noticeable rumble when it plays. Even the dustcover has VERY very few scratches on it. Great deal!
I still have to open it up when i get time and take a look inside, but i don't expect to find anything out of order. It looks like the turntable got very little use in general. The only thing I suspect needs replacement is the belt, although it doesn't look bad now.

I still need to do adjustments on the turntable, but already its much better than the crappy radioshack model i had before!

Thanks to planet10 for the cart, and others (analog_sa i thinks) for the advice offered.
Btw, I'll post pics when I get the camera, hopefully wednesday.
Old 19th April 2004, 11:28 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Excellent! I used ARs for years and years, wonderful tables, very simple, very reliable. When you decide to get more ambitious, a few minutes with a milling machine will allow you to upgrade the tonearm. In my application, the AR was surprisingly immune to vibration and shock- it helps to have it mounted on a non-sprung platform.

After many years of use of the AR in my system, upgrading to a big VPI table was NOT a night and day improvement!
Old 20th April 2004, 09:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have had a long association with the AR turntables. When the company announced its intention to offer the XA, I asked my local dealer in Nashville, TN to order me one. Months later, when the product finally hit the shelves, I received mine, which was serial number 00079.

It really was revolutionary at the time and served as a model for subsequent Linns and others. The weak point was always the tonearm, with its weird braking mechanism which was intended to save a delicate stylus from presumably fumble-fingered users dropping it onto the platter. Another thing to watch out for is the arm wiring which is very fragile and too exposed at the point going from the arm through a hole in the plinth. Re-wiring the arm is well-nigh impossible. Also, it would have been thoughtfull of the AR engineers to have made the headshell connection the regular SME standard type. Since they didn't, shells that are in decent shape now go for premium prices.
The table also benefits greatly from installing additional (no... that's not the right word; better to say any) vibration absorbing material to various areas. As is, the platter gongs away like Big Ben when you tap on it. the underside of the platter ring needs to be deadened while keeping the balance and the underside of the plinth needs help as well.
Fortunately, there is much information available on the net that can bring both the XA and XB up to snuff with very little investment. It is quite easy to eliminate the tonearm braking mechanism. The arm benefits greatly from other easy mods that eliminate its slop. I have a number of articles on this subject that I would be happy to make available if anyone is interested.
Old 20th April 2004, 11:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Just as Bill says the AR tt is the origin of suspended subchassis designs, and maybe the best.
To my ears, a Linn, given the same arm, will never sound as good as an AR.
A few essential things to do before a major rebuild: remove the foam dampers inside suspension springs, remove and discard bottom of "cabinet", attach feet (only 3 pcs) to exposed edge of cabinet walls, one to each front corner, one in middle of back wall. Fill inner platter with polyuretane pottingcompound.
Old 21st April 2004, 09:34 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: AR turntable

Quote:
Originally posted by elizard
Thanks to planet10 for the cart
Got one running in my "new" 2nd hand Rega II with Jelco tonearm.... big step up from nothing.

dave
Old 23rd April 2004, 10:50 PM   #6
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
Well, that lasted a long time ... while trying to play a record today i managed to drop the arm, and the stylus is wrecked. How I managed that, I've no clue .. but that's pretty crappy

I'm thinking I'll get a new grado when I get some more money. Hopefully won't ruin that one!
Old 24th April 2004, 04:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

A couple of problems with the ARxa's minimalist design is that the arm didn't come with anti-skating or a cuing lever (there is a mod avaiable for the former; the latter was remedied with the xb model). But you can easily find after market cuing devices that you can install so that you don't have to depend on your dexterity of the moment. There are also simple mechanical devices that will automatically lift the arm at the end of record play.
Everyone ruins styluses eventually. I have a small drawer full. Its part of joining the club.
Old 24th April 2004, 07:36 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by billinchile
cuing lever
I never could stand cueing levers ... if i added up all the hours i spent trying to figure out how come nothing was coming out of the TT, only to find that someone had used the cueing lever....

dave
Old 25th April 2004, 07:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

I never could stand cueing levers ... if i added up all the hours i spent trying to figure out how come nothing was coming out of the TT, only to find that someone had used the cueing lever....

dave
Some are better than others. First of all, they need to be unaffected by anti-skate, so that you can place the stylus where you want it without having to calculate for drift. Sounds like you don't like pause buttons on CD and tape players either ...
Old 25th April 2004, 09:15 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by billinchile
Sounds like you don't like pause buttons on CD and tape players either ...
All my tape decks are collecting dust... and i usually only use CD for background music.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!