which turntable is better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
which turtable is better?

Hi there,

I have 2 turntables one is pioneer direct drive pl 730 and the other is dual 502 belt drive. I want to get rid of one and keep the best one out of the 2.

I want to know which one of these is better than the other.

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Tony:confused:

I, also, would agree with all Gentlemen above, the Dual.
On the other hand drive system doesn´t matter as long as well executed. Many of the real good tt´s are idler wheel.
But most interesting is wich one is most suitable for DIY tampering and improvement? Dual tt´s are nicely screwed together of traditional materials, wood and metal and a lot of plastic trim. Easy to modify and rebuild. Dual arms tend to be good all the way to headshell wich is often lousy.
A good direct drive tt on the other hand is perfect for building a good own design chassis. If for use as is, go Dual, it will last untill You want something else.

thanx for all your advice ,I decided to keep the dual not only because of all your advice but I also listened to both of them and the dual sounds much better.

One more thing is there anyway to upgrade the tt's?

are tt's better than cd's in sound quality ? In terms of being close to real sound or music?

why do some people prefer the TT's to cd players? and some of the tt's are so expensive. Is is because they are rare.

I also have a technics receiver with MOS-FET which I bought new a couple of months ago by taking some advice from this site that MOS-fet receivers are better in sound quality.

But when I connected it to my dynoaudio speakers they did'nt sound as good or even close to what I had expected.
The reason I say not close to my expectation is because, I had been running these speakers of a MARANTZ receiver 2225 and they sound astounding.

My question here is am doing something wrong or is the vintage marantz is simply better than the technics.

will anyone shed some light on this for me please.

Thanx,

Tony.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tony.ca said:
I also have a technics receiver with MOS-FET which I bought new a couple of months ago by taking some advice from this site that MOS-fet receivers are better in sound quality.

But when I connected it to my dynoaudio speakers they did'nt sound as good or even close to what I had expected.

Implementation is genearlly more important than technology...if the marantz sounds better, then it is better -- at least in that system

dave

Implementation and technology

As Dave says, well executed most technologies are good and of course the other way around, if badly done no mather how good parts You use.
Good direct drive components can be used for a real good tt.

Attachments

• snurra1.jpg
    snurra1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 336
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.