Technics SL7 arm does not move away from the rest position

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
July 2018: after 2.5 years in store, found that the cartidge arm of my Technics SL-7 won't move from the rest other than up or down. Tried all the controls but same result.

Have looked at the service manual but no clues as to possible cause - have read somewhere on line that it could be the drive rubber band but cannot see one.

Need to find someone, preferably in NZ, who can fix the turntable. I'm based in Cambridge NZ ...

Hey Jake,

If you have the service manual, then on page 6 you should see a motor, and a motor drive drum, there is a belt from the motor to the drum. You will need to remove the dust cover and lid bottom. The drive belt is pretty easy to replace. Also, while you are in there, it maybe good to clean the rails with IPA, and replace the lubricant, with a good lithium or dry silicone. clean all the gunk on the drive gears as well, replace with lithium grease. Also, the drive motor maybe seized, and if it is, you can remove it, and try rotating the the pulley on the drive shaft... Hope that helps.

-kev

I have an SL-3 linear tracker, so can confirm that is good advice from chilly0013!

The reason you can't see the small drive belt may be because it has broken and fallen inside the housing.

New belts are obtainable from the usual internet sources (UK price around £7).

Search for 'SL-7, SL7 turntable tonearm control belt'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.