Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

New DIY turntable project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2018, 02:12 PM   #1
garyroach is offline garyroach  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New DIY turntable project

So, i've decided to build my secound diy turntable. The first one was good and taught me alot. This one will have a 12kg, 2" thick aluminum platter with a maglev bearing. To spin the platter i'll use a Jasmin motor, both available from china. I have settled on a Dynavector xx2MkII cartridge. The plinch will be made from four layers of 3/4" baltic birch plywood. For the tone arm i was considering the SME 309 or the Jelco TK 850. I know the SME is twice the price of the Jelco. Is the SME really that much better? Am i crazy to put a $2K cartridge on a $1k tonearm like the Jelco. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
Old 14th July 2018, 05:21 PM   #2
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

What bearing are you planning to use?
Cheers,
B B
Old 14th July 2018, 05:25 PM   #3
vinylkid58 is online now vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyroach View Post
Am i crazy to put a $2K cartridge on a $1k tonearm like the Jelco.
The new series of Jelco arms look really nice. What cartridge are you using now?

jeff
Old 14th July 2018, 08:14 PM   #4
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

IMHO the weakest part of your plan is the baltic birch plinth. To my ears BB alone sounds just dreadful as a plinth. Drilled through and as a part of a constrained layer it is somewhat improved but a lot of its inherent character remains. The 12kg alu platter is likely to also have a very strong sonic signature, unless it is also drilled or part of a sandwich - mine certainly has.

Sorry, can only offer negative experiences with parts similar to the ones you intend using. Never tried a maglev bearing, so no idea how this will contribute to the final sound.
Old 14th July 2018, 08:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

vinylkid58
, i'm currently using a Sumiko blue point #2 Cartridge.

Last edited by garyroach; 14th July 2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 14th July 2018, 08:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here is a link to the platter, Super Sound Aluminum Platter+Tungsten steel Maglev bearing for Turntables | eBay

And this is the link to,the motor, Jasmine TM-R501 Turntable Motor turntable part High Torque Brushless DC Motor | eBay
Old 14th July 2018, 09:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

bbftx,
The ebay add states the bearing is a tungston steel maglev bearing.
Old 14th July 2018, 09:39 PM   #8
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

Default Better to use a 12inch Temaad arm

Hi for such a noble build, you would get better performance by using one of the Temaad 12inch arms, Also they are cheaper to purchase than the Jelco.
I use one with my Dynavector XX1 and Koestu Rosewood & the performance is simply stunning.

Cheers
Old 14th July 2018, 10:05 PM   #9
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Gigi,
That bearing looks pretty suspect. The arrow refers to a tiny button magnet and the model number for a free-standing motor. Doesn't make any sense. The bearing surface does not look like a precision set up.

Do you know anybody that has used this bearing? I see no reviews for it anywhere.
B B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maglevbearing.jpg (101.4 KB, 104 views)
Old 14th July 2018, 11:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

bbftx,
The button magnet is used with a hall effect sensor for motor speed feedback control. It is for there propiatary motor that i am not intending to use. And yes i do know someone that has used this motor/platter bearing setup. His name is Troles Gravison of Denmark. He is a very prominent speaker designer employed by Jantzen Audio. Ckeck out his DIY site. I have built one of the speaker kits he designed. The Jensen 1071.

New DIY turntable projectHide this!Advertise here!