New DIY turntable project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, i've decided to build my secound diy turntable. The first one was good and taught me alot. This one will have a 12kg, 2" thick aluminum platter with a maglev bearing. To spin the platter i'll use a Jasmin motor, both available from china. I have settled on a Dynavector xx2MkII cartridge. The plinch will be made from four layers of 3/4" baltic birch plywood. For the tone arm i was considering the SME 309 or the Jelco TK 850. I know the SME is twice the price of the Jelco. Is the SME really that much better? Am i crazy to put a $2K cartridge on a $1k tonearm like the Jelco. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated

IMHO the weakest part of your plan is the baltic birch plinth. To my ears BB alone sounds just dreadful as a plinth. Drilled through and as a part of a constrained layer it is somewhat improved but a lot of its inherent character remains. The 12kg alu platter is likely to also have a very strong sonic signature, unless it is also drilled or part of a sandwich - mine certainly has.

Sorry, can only offer negative experiences with parts similar to the ones you intend using. Never tried a maglev bearing, so no idea how this will contribute to the final sound.

Hey Gigi,
That bearing looks pretty suspect. The arrow refers to a tiny button magnet and the model number for a free-standing motor. Doesn't make any sense. The bearing surface does not look like a precision set up.

Do you know anybody that has used this bearing? I see no reviews for it anywhere.
B B

Attachments

• maglevbearing.jpg
    maglevbearing.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 464
bbftx,
The button magnet is used with a hall effect sensor for motor speed feedback control. It is for there propiatary motor that i am not intending to use. And yes i do know someone that has used this motor/platter bearing setup. His name is Troles Gravison of Denmark. He is a very prominent speaker designer employed by Jantzen Audio. Ckeck out his DIY site. I have built one of the speaker kits he designed. The Jensen 1071.

yes i do know someone that has used this motor/platter bearing setup. His name is Troles Gravison of Denmark. He is a very prominent speaker designer employed by Jantzen Audio. Ckeck out his DIY site. I have built one of the speaker kits he designed. The Jensen 1071.

Thanks, Gary, Troels' Mag-Lev build is intriguing --- I really enjoyed reading and seeing what he's done. I love dual arm setups.

Now I'll have to check out all his speaker projects....
Cheers,
B B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.