Which turntable to buy ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am an entry level user who just happened to discover a box of 33 1/3 albums.
So, I am shopping for a turn table and have settled on a Rega.
However the price of the Planar 1 + the performance upgrade package ($670) is virtually the same as a Planar 2 ($675).
So what to do ?

Thanks

A very good sounding vintage TT is a JVC QL-A5. The TT is direct drive and has a medium mass tone arm plus is semi-auto. The base provides a lot of room isolation, thus feedback is not an issue. I believe this TT outperforms vintage Technics SL-1200 series at less than 1/2 the cost. %100 to $150 depending upon condition.

Are you looking to buy new or used, for a first timer I would recommend the later, you can get some seriously good kit at great prices, further if you look into it a bit more.

I've recently purchased a Moth Alamo, if you're not aware there are a load of Rega clones, or rather rebadged Regas. If you are buying used on well know auction sites (or even new), they tend to cost less (especially the used ones ) than the rega badged original!
With the rega (and all the rebadged versions) there are plenty of other upgrades worth looking into (stubs, platters, rewrites etc) to up the performance.

I borrowed this from the vinylengine forum, thanks to james73 there:

Rebadged Rega Planar 2 - RB250 arm
Akai AP-A950
Goldring GR2
Moth Alamo
NAD 533
Rotel RP-900
Systemdek I 920

Rebadged Rega P2 - RB251 arm
Edwards Audio TT1
Edwards Audio TT2
Edwards Audio TT3
Goldring GR1
Goldring GR 1.2

Rebadged Rega P1 - RB101 arm
Edwards Audio Apprentice TT
Flexson VinylPlay (with built-in phono pre-amp)
NAD C556

Last edited:
Which electronics do you need, mine came with everything.
In terms of upgrades, most are available on that well known auction site. Tone arm rewire kits, new belts and bearings, new platters and sub platters, tone arm Stubs etc.
Most people (well the reviews I've read), consider the rb250 a big step up over the rb101 on the p1, that being said it costs the same as one of the turntables listed above!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.