Connectors / sockets cleaning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My connectors give me poor connections lately, including intermittent failures. It's NOT the interconnects (replaced them), but the connectors (sockets) themselves.
I have both RCA and DIN connectors. (You can guess I have Quads :))

What's the recommended way for cleaning them (other than going into a full blow rebuild / replacement)?

Thx,
David

PS I read about Kontakt 60 and Tuner (Kontakt) 600. Are they any good?
Kontakt 60 is oil-based. Is this OK?
They come in aerosol cans. What's the procedure for getting the cleaner into DIN and RCA sockets?

Last edited:
Kontakt 60 can be used for cleaning and removig oxidation. Spray it onto the connector, engage/disengage several times, then wipe with paper towel and wash out completely. We used Kontakt WL in the service for washing. Kontakt 60 has some etching material that eats the surface on long term. After cleaning, spray some Kontakt 61 that will protect the surfaces from oxidation.

Kontakt 60 can be used for cleaning and removig oxidation. Spray it onto the connector, engage/disengage several times, then wipe with paper towel and wash out completely. We used Kontakt WL in the service for washing. Kontakt 60 has some etching material that eats the surface on long term. After cleaning, spray some Kontakt 61 that will protect the surfaces from oxidation.

How do you wash out the cleaner from the INSIDE of a socket?
Thx,
David

Hello,
I live in tropical country where humidity and some degree of mid to high pollution. I've seen many connectors especially RCAs that show surface defects, discoloration or corrosion, perhaps lifespan not more than a decade. This does happen to my own equipment. I would periodically inspect and clean them with this same Kontakt 60 which I can easily buy here. At worst case I'd use WD40 to clean it out, then use spirit to final clean it all. There will come a time when I see its not worth cleaning, I'll happily replace them all with alternative replacements. I replaced the whole set of connectors for my aged Musical Fidelity X series components. The exact replacement was available from Element 14 (or Farnell). It was a simple drop in replacement.

Since these are all aerosoles, availability in my location (due to cost of air shipping) is limited.
I can get:
DeOxit D5 for $35
Servisol SS10 for $11 (Kontakt 60 equivalent)
Servisol AK50 for $14 (Kontakt Tuner 600 equivalent)

There's no Servisol Kontakt 61 (lubricant only) equivalent as far as I could tell.

As far as I could tell SS10 breaks oxidations, but leaves oily lubricant. AK50 does NOT remove oxidation, but is dry (it's actually recommended to dissolve SS10).

WDUT?

Last edited:
This page discusses damage Servisol SS10 causes plastics. I'm concerned applying it to connectors, RCA - the outer plastics housing, and DIN - pins / slots are embedded in plastic.

This page raises a point that for interconnects one doesn't need a lubricator since they're FAPP fixed.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.