LP storage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems ridiculous to start an LP storage thread as there is so much material on it already, but I cannot find material on my problem, storing SMALL amounts of vinyl and avoiding the tendency for records to lean over and get warped.

An obvious solution is to use one or more milk crates and cut wooden dividers to fit inside and provide a resting surface. I thought I would throw the question out in case there are better ideas.

IKEA Kallax.

You can even get single wall mount cubes now.

IKEA options have become the defacto record storage standard. I’m sure you can figure something out with what’s there.

IMG_9046.JPG

KALLAX series - IKEA

The added bonus is that there’s sure to be folks out there who are offering “hacks” for given ikea products, there’s a community built around it just like here with audio.

If you want more division within the cube, you can get or make something similar to this:

IMG_9048.JPG

Ikea Kallax Expedit shelf Insert storage record Shelves vinyl

Or:

http://www.deucecitieshenhouse.com/2015/03/adding-a-record-stop-to-basic-shelves.html

Doesn’t get much easier than that.

If you find that it doesn’t suit your fancy, make it yourself.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used the Ikea shelves, but didn't have the problem of empty space. A divider shouldn't be too hard to make. Some old consoles and record players I've owned used a wire rack where each disk sat between 2 wires. I'm sure you've seen the type.

Use one of those ancient artifacts of the analog world, a heavy bookend. Then you can use any suitable cabinet or shelf.

Milk Crates are a mixed bag ... if your dairies have gone metric, the cases are slightly smaller than those made for quart-sized cartons, which work beautifully. But a simple plywood box, you could add dividers if you want, works fine. Try to go for perhaps 14" height which makes selection easier. See the IKEA link posted earlier for an example where the spacing is a bit tight ... works, but not ideal. You want some room for an index finger at the top to help viewing, selection, and removal.

Masonite (versus plywood or mdf) makes nice wooden dividers but you would want something thicker for the box itself.

Dividers work best when they are not full size ... either shorter (depth) or angled profile from bottom to top.

Ordinary magazine racks from office supply stores are usually only a few $ each, they usually come with a front lip but a little work with an ex-acto or Olfa knife and some cleanup makes removal a simple affair.

Last edited:
THIS looks like simple, neat, sleek and compact. The whole thing can be put in a box/drawer or used as standalone. The sections are small and good enough to keep records straight. At the bottom of the website there are other ideas too.
Regards

Thanks for the link, many interesting and elegant approaches there.

All I would add is care must be taken with stability, vinyl records are heavy once you get more than a few in a storage solution; it can become an issue with "flip" type storage solutions.

Check at 1 record at front / majority at back, and majority at front, 1 at back, and also while moving the entire stack from front leaning to back leaning. "Flipping" through records with the covers facing you involves a significant weight shift, so check for that as well.

You can either make the base more stable or just make your flip rack hold fewer records and use multiples if necessary to contain your collection.

Even if you use a "box" style storage system with the records stored horizontally with the spline facing out, a single flip rack near the 'table is handy to temporarily store albums you are in the process of playing. You can re-catalog them the next morning, for example after a listening session the previous night.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.