Need Cartridge Recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Everyone.

So currently I’m running a Pro-Ject turntable with a Pro-Ject tube box. My turn table came with a Blue Point No 2 that I think I busted and bent the needle. So, I need to replace it. This came with the player and it’s stupid expensive, was wondering if anyone had any advice on either one that may perform better for a similar price or one that might perform the same for less.

Let me know what you guys recommend.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It might be worth looking at the HANA Elliptical or Shibata.

Brand: HANA

I have no direct experience of either and generally prefer LOMC with a step up device of some sort. (Available option on both Hana cartridges) Worse I am currently listening only to strain gauge cartridges.

I heard one briefly at a HiFi show a year ago and it didn't do anything wrong that I can remember, and it's highly regarded by many.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Thinking about going with this one: HANA MC Phono Cartridge — Elliptical

I will need low output right?

"Need" is a strong word, but if you have the capability of using a LOMC with suitable step-up or active head amp, the lower moving mass of a LOMC vs a HOMC makes for a better cartridge. HOMC is really for those who don't have the gain and want to use it with a conventional MM input stage.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you elect to get the low output version I believe you may need a head amp or transformer with the tube box. My experience is that LOMC sound much livelier than the comparable HOMC, so if you can find the money for one or the other that would be the better way to go.

Edit: Apparently if you have a recent tube box it can take low output LOMC as well as MM/HOMC types so if you have one of these by all means get the low output version Hana elliptical.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The DL-103 is a great cartridge (I have had several) but it is extremely low compliance, and requires a higher mass arm for good performance. It is also at something of a disadvantage unless it is installed in an upgrade body. I think the new Hana elliptical is better for not much more money. The SL is a significant step up from that.

Isn't it rather trivial to get the mass of arm up to whatever is necessary to get the arm/cartridge system resonant frequency in the range you want? Getting it lighter might be very difficult.
Also what is so much better about the "upgrade" bodies?
(Please note - these are honest questions, I'm not trying to troll. If you would rather respond via PM that's fine. Just trying to learn)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No it's not trivial to get the effective mass to where it needs to be unless you like sticking pennies on the headshell and counterweight.. LOL

Heavier headshells go a long way, but many low mass arms don't have sufficient adjustment range without adding mass to the counterweight as well. There there is bearing friction...

The cheap plastic body the 103 comes in has resonance issues and couples poorly to the head shell.

I've had stock DL-103 and a ZU in a rigid metal body. It was hard to believe they were basically the same cartridge, the ZU sounded so much better.

Something like this works pretty well: CLOSED WOOD BODY for DENON DL103 DL103R Cartridge Tonabnehmer COCOBOLO Wood | eBay

Started years ago with the UWE body over on Lenco Heaven.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.