Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Home made cartridge re-tip
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2018, 04:16 AM   #1
tribute is offline tribute  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Home made cartridge re-tip

I like many of you I guess have accidentally decapitated a cartridge. Well it happened to me again with my Eroica H.
So I was contemplating whether to send away for a re-tip or not when I saw in a local garage sale a Dynevector 20x H without a stylus & a flattened cantilever for $60 , so I snapped it up.

So which one to send away, I knew I liked what the Eroica sound like but have never heard a Dynavector 20x before, however the 20x retails for more that twice the price of the Eroica so it should be very good indeed.

Then the had an idea, could I somehow attach my broken stylus to the 20x to at least get a idea of what it sounds like. So I borrowed a magnifying glass & mixed up some 2 pot glue. The very carefully stuck the Eroica stylus & cantilever stub on top of the 20x squashed cantilever. Allowed it to set off for an hour or so. Mounted it on my Temaad Uni-pivot arm & Hay Presto it works. And I must say a lot better than I expected it to do.
So now I can send my Eroica away & get it fixed but still listen to some great music. Then when the Eroica comes back I will send the 20x away and when that comes back have a cartridge shoot out between the two. !!
Old 13th March 2018, 06:18 AM   #2
googlyone is offline googlyone  Australia
diyAudio Member

Good stuff. This is what diy is all about
Old 13th March 2018, 06:22 AM   #3
Hearinspace is offline Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

Cool! How did you get it to stay in place 'til the glue set?
Old 13th March 2018, 11:40 AM   #4
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

The most important part is to find a suitable glue for the job.
Old 13th March 2018, 03:52 PM   #5
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Mix some diamond dust in with the epoxy while your at it

Regards
David
Old 14th March 2018, 12:17 AM   #6
tribute is offline tribute  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi, Don't have a shop for diamond dust in NZ!!
Keeping the old stylus on top of the flattened was actually surprisingly easy, if it had not been flattened I don't think it would have worked.
I have since aligned it correctly & have a couple of db drop on the R/H speaker so had to adjust the balance, which I can on my system. But overall I could quite happily live with this as it is. Cheers
Old 15th March 2018, 05:29 AM   #7
Hearinspace is offline Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have an off-centre thing in my set-up too, though for me it's the phono stage. Who cares! The balance knob cures all.

Nice to hear your story. 'Be interested to hear if you ever repair the 20x and compare.

Home made cartridge re-tipHide this!Advertise here!