Has someone built this phono stage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I'm back again with this phono preamp.
It is the Solidphono published some years ago by TNT.
It was filed in a box and it occurred to me to bring it back to life.
This time with some modifications in the RIAA network and with a new source. Use the SSM2019
The modifications in the RIAA network consist of R4 = 8k2; R5 = 965; C3 = 326n and C4 = 110n(paired with multimeter and capacitor),out put capacitor 2u2 pio. This gives you some more dB in 20hz.
The power source: toroidal 50-watt transformer, 12v or 12v; LM317 and LM337; rectification with Schottky diodes BYV 28-200.
I have become amazed at the details; in the amplitude and depth of the sound and dynamic scene very good.
Since 2012 I am building phono preamps. I have built very good DIY kits. I've listened with Rotel RQ 970; Yamaha 496;Pro Ject Phono Box MM-MC; Marantz PM6006 (is the current amplifier of my system).
All very good, but the Solidphono seems very, very good to me.
I would like someone to be encouraged to build it and think about it.
I accept that music is very subjective and I need other opinions.
I clarify that I have always used capsule AT 440 Mlb and acoustic boxes B & W DM602.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Nope. I usually build this.

Attachments

• Aikido-Phono-6N36N2(1).png
    Aikido-Phono-6N36N2(1).png
    76.7 KB · Views: 665
I would like to build a valve phono preamp.
In the place where I live it is very difficult to get vacuum valves.
I liked the circuit proposed by Les Carpenter as a modification of Yaqin MS 23. It is with vacuum valves and passive RIAA but separating LF eq from HF eq.
Some day I will build it, but I would like someone to build the Solidphono of TNT and give their opinion about it.
I thought it was wonderful.

Again with this theme. I do not want to bother the reiterative being.
But I've been looking at a Lehmann Black Cube SE II.
The circuit is very similar, use THAT1510 or INA217 instead of SSM2019.
It sets first stage gain at 50x and second stage gain at 15x.
The RIAA circuit is equally passive like SOLIDPHONO, but with some slightly different values.
I modified my SOLIDPHONO to approach LEHMANN, using paired Russian oil capacitors and 1% Vishay-Dale metal film resistors.
I really am very satisfied and as I have already mentioned, it has a wonderful midrange, very rich details, a better scenario than I mentioned previously.
It's a shame that somebody has not built it. In this way I am not left alone with my opinion, which of course must be very subjective.
I show the modifications and the PCB (DIY) of PSU and preamplifier.
The RIAA capacitors were measured and matched
(IC SSM2019 was sold on the back of the PCB)

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
What really worries me in your take on is the fact that you're using the AT 440 mlb cart which is known for not such great bass response and then modify the passive network for having better base ...SSM2017 works best on 5kohms load as the datasheet reveals so your load is manageable in any shape, but you'd better change the cart first if you need more base!

SSM2017 is both good and bad because of its high power supply so you can run it with high rails for better transient response and the balanced input which gives you a 3db penalty noise added to the other shortcomings.The current noise is not great , the voltage noise is only defined at 1khz and you have passive eq on top of that...single ended inputs provide better noise specs for mm.SSM2017 looks better for mc carts noise wise and it was actually built for low impedance microphone inputs.

Last edited:
Hello, dreamth. I have heard these arguments to which you refer. You can be right in them, I do not argue.
But despite this I have built the Solidphono, only as a test and hobby (after reading the article by TNT SOLIDPHONO)
I also took this to know that the Lehmann is a similar circuit, and that I use SSM2017; THAT1510 and INA217, IC intended for balanced microphone preamps.
I know these arguments against, I have built it and although it seems to be a lie, it beats several pre DIY that are on the web; to branded preamps recognized as Rotel RQ970BX; Pro Ject Phono Box and the one that is already inside my Marantz PM6006 integrated amplifier.
That is why I suggest that someone build it and think about its performance, without thinking about the arguments against it.
It's a shame no one has not done it yet.
With respect to the AT440MLb cartridge, I do not think it lacks bass. On the contrary, I feel very full bass.
Greetings.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
All the recordings made on youtube with this cart sound very bright...maybe they have the right bass but too many highs...
I'm glad that you found that your preamp is very good actually .I still remember that 15 years ago i wanted to buy some ssm2017 for a friend and they were worth exactly my monthly salary for one piece at the time.So i bought some lm833...well, i wasn't even able to build a functional balanced input based on lm833 , so maybe i was really deserving such low wages at the time :) My friend payed for the LM833 and never bothered by the fact that i delivered him something that never worked...We still laugh at each other when talking about my first projects...

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
I DO trust youtube on judging a lot of audio equipment and it never failed me and my sound recording engineer friends.It's actually very fashionable to say that youtube sound bad but there's strong evidence for the fact that if you judge two different equipment through the same youtube filter you get actually very good precision at judging the audio content if you are an experienced listener.If you don't believe me, read Bob Kats...He's telling the exact same thing about the sound engineers "golden ears" .Most of the best recording engineers in the world are barely able to hear up to 12khz and they are still very able to judge their recordings by only listening to them.
what do you think about this clip?

YouTube

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Joined 2014
Paid Member
what do you think about this clip?

YouTube

I think that the person posting the video doesn't understand cartridge loading. I will admit AT do not make it easy on themselves but in his search for youtube hits he just swaps cartridges about. This is a recipe for having FR anomalies. All that video really tells you is that the AT might not be a good match for a £299 integrated amp. Which is useful info but does not make the 140 a bright cartridge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.