Phono switching with relays.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Monte for your contribution.
However the Teledyne 712 being a very nice sealed relay, is no longer in production.
For a new design not a good starting point.
Hans

Sad to hear, but thanks for the heads up! There is still stock at some distributors, but at ~$35 per relay, I don't think I'll stock up. There maybe other suitable or equivalent relays, and there are also a wide range of very inexpensive non-hermetic relays for about 10x less cost, such as those from Matsushita and Aromat.

At any rate, thanks again!

Something like this?

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpg
    IMG_1620.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 153
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Have you considered using something like an arduino to get remote capability and oled screen readout?
No. I'm already nearly 3 years behind on some projects and this would add another n months. Given that, if I am changing source I will be standing at the turntable knobs hold no horror for me. Plus I want to use the chassis (and holes) I have lying around.

Back to my post #4, look at the Panasonic TX-S with the -1 p/n suffix if you want a good low-signal-level relay at an affordable price. Given your signal levels, reed relays with appropriate contact plating are an option and should not suffer from distortion due to the magnetic materials.

Working 15+ years in two companies that used LOTs of relays in test hardware, one in T&M products and the other for internal Test hardware, I can tell you that both experienced reliability issues with:
- Teledyne -- high priced and high failure rate / short lifespan
- Pickering reeds -- consistently less longevity than other brands
- Coto -- very good supplier, but seriously lost their recipes when they moved the factory to Mexico. Largely resolved but would avoid tiny and expensive form-C model
- Panasonic -- recipe was lost during the change from Aromat->NAIS->Panasonic. This was in the early 2000's and is now history. The existence of the Panasonic TX-S with -1 is a result of those issues.
- other brands, now forgotten (or gone) -- even worse experiences.

Bottom line: No one has been perfect. Given your need for just a few relays, maybe you'll never see a reliability issue no matter who you pick as long as you make a suitable choice.

Bill, while I understand your goals, I question whether you will ever use all the flexibility you're trying to design in. Over the years I've had many schemes and plans for ultimate flexibility -- relay matrices, patch panels to connect anything to anything else, etc. If they were implemented, I found I never did much, if any, rerouting. If not implemented it was because other life priorities prevented the work; usually I ended up throwing a simple ad hoc solution together that was used for years.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Brian,

You may be right, and I have had several rounds of angst. The current plan is the minimal set of switching I need to support the next few years, and I admit even some of that might be backed out. I had foar more complex plans originally.

BUT I need to implement something slightly less add hoc than I currently use on orders of Memsahib*. And with this plan I can implement it a bit at a time and manage domestic harmony :)

*As we all know the problem with projects is that the metalwork can be >50% of the cost of the project, esp if you get fancy front panels done with silly things like labels on. It would be good if I could get things to the state where my wife would feel comfortable using the hifi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.