Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Phono switching with relays.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2018, 01:17 PM   #61
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Teledynes are a bit out my budget. Shame as they certainly look the business.
Old 13th February 2018, 01:39 PM   #62
Monte McGuire is offline Monte McGuire
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Polak View Post
Thanks Monte for your contribution.
However the Teledyne 712 being a very nice sealed relay, is no longer in production.
For a new design not a good starting point.
Hans
Sad to hear, but thanks for the heads up! There is still stock at some distributors, but at ~$35 per relay, I don't think I'll stock up. There maybe other suitable or equivalent relays, and there are also a wide range of very inexpensive non-hermetic relays for about 10x less cost, such as those from Matsushita and Aromat.

At any rate, thanks again!
Old 27th February 2018, 06:35 PM   #63
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Have you considered using something like an arduino to get remote capability and oled screen readout?
Old 27th February 2018, 07:22 PM   #64
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Something like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1620.jpg (451.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 28th February 2018, 04:17 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Exactly like that.
Old 28th February 2018, 04:19 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Teledynes are a bit out my budget. Shame as they certainly look the business.

What Teledyne 712 model would be most suitable for this application? There’s a variety of them.
Old 28th February 2018, 04:38 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceistheplace View Post
Have you considered using something like an arduino to get remote capability and oled screen readout?
No. I'm already nearly 3 years behind on some projects and this would add another n months. Given that, if I am changing source I will be standing at the turntable knobs hold no horror for me. Plus I want to use the chassis (and holes) I have lying around.
Old 28th February 2018, 04:56 PM   #68
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

Back to my post #4, look at the Panasonic TX-S with the -1 p/n suffix if you want a good low-signal-level relay at an affordable price. Given your signal levels, reed relays with appropriate contact plating are an option and should not suffer from distortion due to the magnetic materials.

Working 15+ years in two companies that used LOTs of relays in test hardware, one in T&M products and the other for internal Test hardware, I can tell you that both experienced reliability issues with:
- Teledyne -- high priced and high failure rate / short lifespan
- Pickering reeds -- consistently less longevity than other brands
- Coto -- very good supplier, but seriously lost their recipes when they moved the factory to Mexico. Largely resolved but would avoid tiny and expensive form-C model
- Panasonic -- recipe was lost during the change from Aromat->NAIS->Panasonic. This was in the early 2000's and is now history. The existence of the Panasonic TX-S with -1 is a result of those issues.
- other brands, now forgotten (or gone) -- even worse experiences.

Bottom line: No one has been perfect. Given your need for just a few relays, maybe you'll never see a reliability issue no matter who you pick as long as you make a suitable choice.

Bill, while I understand your goals, I question whether you will ever use all the flexibility you're trying to design in. Over the years I've had many schemes and plans for ultimate flexibility -- relay matrices, patch panels to connect anything to anything else, etc. If they were implemented, I found I never did much, if any, rerouting. If not implemented it was because other life priorities prevented the work; usually I ended up throwing a simple ad hoc solution together that was used for years.
Old 28th February 2018, 09:22 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Hi Brian,

You may be right, and I have had several rounds of angst. The current plan is the minimal set of switching I need to support the next few years, and I admit even some of that might be backed out. I had foar more complex plans originally.

BUT I need to implement something slightly less add hoc than I currently use on orders of Memsahib*. And with this plan I can implement it a bit at a time and manage domestic harmony

*As we all know the problem with projects is that the metalwork can be >50% of the cost of the project, esp if you get fancy front panels done with silly things like labels on. It would be good if I could get things to the state where my wife would feel comfortable using the hifi

Phono switching with relays.Hide this!Advertise here!