Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Phono switching with relays.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2018, 09:02 PM   #21
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Blimey googling 'Meder Dil5k002 -BV338' returns no results. Not had that in a while!
Old 4th February 2018, 04:31 PM   #22
Hans Polak is online now Hans Polak  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Bill,

Switching has to be done with great care to prevent loud clicks in your speakers or even potentially damaging Carts or Preamps.
Preamp inputs have to be short circuited before switching the input lines.
However when using an Aurak type of configuration, when inputs are short circuited, gain and thus noise will massively increase.
That is why you should also circuit the outputs of your preamps before switching.
Leave enough time for settling the relay contacts.
Procedure should be like:

1) Short circuit the outputs,
2) after 5 msec short circuit the inputs,
3) after 10 msec switch the input lines,
4) after 15 msec release the input short circuit,
5) after 20 msec release the output short circuit.

Most miniature DPDT relays with gold plated contacts will do the job like the IM relay series from TE Connectivity.

Hans
Old 4th February 2018, 05:48 PM   #23
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Blimey googling 'Meder Dil5k002 -BV338' returns no results. Not had that in a while!
When i try " dil 5k002 bv338" there are a lot of hits here in europe on google and ebay.

And Hans your right about swiching sounds in low signal circuits. Look at my schematic(post 14), that is why i have also a relais switch at the output of the phonopreamp.

Last edited by Koifarm; 4th February 2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 4th February 2018, 06:01 PM   #24
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Strange because I too am getting plenty of hits and Meder is mentioned in several of them:

2 Stuck MEDER DIL-5K002-BV338, 5V Metall-Relais (M3881) | eBay

2 Stuck MEDER DIL-5K002-BV338, 5V Metall-Relais (M3881)

Non English listings of course. I would probably go for eBay, but I wonder if there are enough to meet your needs.
Old 4th February 2018, 09:51 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I know, odd. Google is usually so desperate to return something!

Hans: Good advice. I have done a first pass on looking at the issues around switching inputs and what is needed. I have 3 points where I can and probably do need to mute and the added possibility of powering off whichever phono stage is not in use.

For safety I should consider having a 2 second auto mute on input change, but I view that as phase 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Google_odd.JPG (46.5 KB, 172 views)
Old 4th February 2018, 09:54 PM   #26
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I know, odd. Google is usually so desperate to return something!
Mmm, "something" being the operative word. Apparently Google isn't very helpful and maybe why some people end up here with their Yet another basic question

PS, I got exactly the same result as you

Last edited by scottjoplin; 4th February 2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 4th February 2018, 10:45 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Well I looked at your thread and I disagree. If you look back there have always been a number of basic questions. What has changed is a higher number of 'what is best x' threads, which never end well .
Old 7th February 2018, 03:50 AM   #28
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Switching has to be done with great care to prevent loud clicks in your speakers or even potentially damaging Carts or Preamps.
Is live signal switching a requirement? If so then you need the elaborate switch scheme, logic control
Another option is to have a separate phono preamp for each TT and do the switching at a higher level. They are not very expensive to build :-) ( The lsk489/LM4562 app is a good one) Go smt to save space.
most phono pre amps have a MC flat gain stage before the MM gain stage with the RIAA and rumble filter if used. Jumpers/switches are used to select MM/MC cart.

Last edited by rsavas; 7th February 2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 7th February 2018, 08:43 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

The problem is not one preamp per TT its one preamp per cartridge type and the fact that I now have the possibility to swap arm wands on one of my turntables. Whilst it's unlikely I will be running MM/MC in the same session, if I am testing things I might well do. I could just stick a patch box in between the turntables but being able to just select TT then flick a switch for MM or MC would be a preferable user experience.

And yes the fact that I refuse to follow the norm of an MM stage with headamp before it for MC makes it difficult, but that's the way I want it to be
Old 7th February 2018, 10:52 AM   #30
udok is offline udok  Austria
diyAudio Member

Read relays have magnetic contacts - lot of distortion and no go for audio

Phono switching with relays.Hide this!Advertise here!