Opamp Passive RIAA questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just beginning to step my toe into the murky waters of phono stage design, and I've noticed there can be considerable variation among simple opamp-based passive RIAA designs in the series resistor value, with the pursuant changes in the other RC components. Attached are a couple of examples.

While the opamps used in each schematic have some differences -- input voltage noise among them -- they both are capable of driving low impedance loads with low distortion.

Why would a designer choose one approach over the other?

My apologies -- I'm certain this has been asked and answered many times before, but I can't seem to find or discern an answer

gtrmkr

Attachments

• genopampRIAA.png
    genopampRIAA.png
    150.1 KB · Views: 220
  • lme49720RIAA.png
    lme49720RIAA.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
2nd option looks better. But some components are missing:

- a series resistor between the second opamp and output (100R)
- bypass capacitors at + and - Vcc to GND (.1uF ceramic)

There will be also some DC at the output, so a series capacitor could also be useful.

Last edited:
Why would a designer choose one approach over the other?

Hard to say. The only excuse for the high impedance network is the belief that a particular opamp sounds better into higher impedance loads. At some stage, a long time ago this was perhaps true.

Personally i do not like the subjective effect of high resistance in series with the signal. My current opamp riaa has no such resistor at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.