15 ips TAPE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Tape Project has been around for a whole lot longer than a decade already.. It is commercially successful although it caters to people with financial resources a bit beyond ours.

I have heard a number of them played either on an ATR-100, or Studer A-80. (Also A-810) I have also heard masters of Hugh Masakela and several Rolling Stones albums. It is sort of hard to imagine hearing anything closer to the original studio performance and you probably won't.

The recordings I have heard at 15ips sound better than the vinyl, redbook digital or most high res material I have heard of the same material.

If I could afford do it, and had enough space in the ever shrinking man cave I would, but the cost of an appropriate machine and the recordings themselves are pretty close to astronomical. There are a lot of other master quality recordings available in the tape collector community, some of them sound absolutely stunning.

I have heard 15 ips recordings played on my own system using a StellaVox that were pretty impressive.

Every medium has its technical imperfections, high end pro tape machines tend to perform pretty well from any technical perspective.

I am always interested that people who have absolutely no experience or a clue about what they are talking about are so willing to venture an uninformed negative opinion. Experience does count for something folks. (People these days seem to think that their opinions are as good as someone else's hard won experience, well that just isn't true.)

I am always interested that people who have absolutely no experience or a clue about what they are talking about are so willing to venture an uninformed negative opinion. Experience does count for something folks. (People these days seem to think that their opinions are as good as someone else's hard won experience, well that just isn't true.)
Gosh, it sounds as if you know that for a fact

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I suspect it is a safe bet having observed certain patterns of discourse over the years.. LOL Note I didn't mention anyone by name so I will leave you to guess that. The clue is that they talk in generalities and never cite any specific example that would lead you to believe they had ever used or listened to such a machine or tape..

FWIW I had one dabble with high speed tape and owned a couple of lesser machines and could not afford those tapes. I concluded I was not serious enough to play the game, vintage tubed ReVox G36 MKIII was not quite good enough, and the Otari MX-50-T took up more space than I could spare, and also was not quite good enough. I was offered an A-80 which absolutely was a non starter simply because there was nowhere to put it and getting it down here, it was more than good enough.

I've been thinking of A-810, B62 and B67, but to my chagrin have discovered that they are now made of unaffordium.. lol A few years ago it was not quite that bad..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.