Mold inside......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a Mitsubishi MC-8000 off eBay in need of restoring. Its a vertical, liniar tracking turntable/amp/tape/radio combo. Been after a vertical turntable for a while and this was silly cheap so I thought I'd get it to tinker with. I ordered belts and replacement bulbs for the light sensors (common fault) and got around to opening it up today.
As you'd expect the belts are 100% perished. Good news is all the motors seem to work. Its not in bad shape considering its been in a loft for years.

Shared album - Google Photos

What I didn't expect so see was thick white mold covering about 50% of the insides :( .

Shared album  - Google Photos

I'm looking for an effective way to kill the spores and remove the mold without having to completely dismantle the whole thing. Basically anywhere on the chassis where there is woo, there is mold. I think maybe the perished belt had fed it somehow!

Is there a dry spray you can use to kill the spores? Or can I just wipe it all off with a soapy damp cloth? I'm guessing bleach isn't a good idea?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I can see the pics in your first post. I have had stuff stored in lofts that have not been ventilated properly and moisture has allowed this sort of thing to happen. Mine was in an amplifier.

I would be inclined to scrape off as much as you can using a thin bladed palette knife (wearing a mask) and then clean all the area with a solvent based quick drying product maybe something like this :-

| RS Pro 400 ml aerosol Precision Cleaner & Degreaser for PCBs |

The best way to add pics on this site is to add them as attachments rather than through a hosting site.

I can see the pics in your first post. I have had stuff stored in lofts that have not been ventilated properly and moisture has allowed this sort of thing to happen. Mine was in an amplifier.

I would be inclined to scrape off as much as you can using a thin bladed palette knife (wearing a mask) and then clean all the area with a solvent based quick drying product maybe something like this :-

| RS Pro 400 ml aerosol Precision Cleaner & Degreaser for PCBs |

The best way to add pics on this site is to add them as attachments rather than through a hosting site.

Thanks for the reply. Can you see the pics in the first post or just links to them? I used the image link function so they were supposed to show as images in the post instead of links. I think its something to do with google photos. Its backs up my photos automatically to the cloud and I can share them, but they never seem to work when I use the image link "]/img]" on a forum for some reason. Its annoying!

Cheers.

If you get a chance to pull the platter/bearing assembly out for inspection, it would be interesting to see what this vertical arrangement has done to the bearing..,

I would assume the platter is extremely light weight to compensate for this load.

Unique design look for sure

Regards
David

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
..I used the image link function so they were supposed to show as images in the post ...

The links are to *pages*, not *images*.

Yes, Google does obfuscate the direct image links. This forum's Image Attach IS for making images stay with the message and displayed conveniently.

Frankly, I would remove all that wood, take it far back on my neighbor's land, and burn it, standing far back. Or bag it and send to landfill. You can't ever kill the spores with anything that won't dissolve the wood. It may be innocuous when dead-dry, but WILL spring to life with any free moisture. In a house frame, sometimes you have to just run the de-humidifier to stay well below 80% RH (in the dankest corners, which means <70%RH in the middle of my cellar) until you can sell the house on. If this is a play-thing, set it on a heating pad so it dries and stays dry. (Note: newer heating pads have auto power off.)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here is your image direct from Google. This works until you remove it from Google or Google goes out of the pic-host business (they already ate my Picassa). It does not display well in-post.

6JuW7J7Ye40N5zy1W88fn2ke4t6vXyCv0nAYe7r8KMgyxW9Rc_XFce1bms6qyT8W_3W_ndMgEgJnkVKgcLC0cpB16XKuTGNhwV-hIvu1zVcebkI9Z8vPGgzW6Mc9USXzAllayRfA8-HYbB1awh-f3E04oKLiGtcwoRx8bREyMZMhW5OJ3yjdl7iDmk1AdLM78WG796ISJ01yT2Kq3tHUbTHwKhCYM858teDl9L-rJMl40C0B4_SEp1LFesgy87nShnDyGeM75iHWNMZeX-u9_-Nxxh5Pfduhb_Tf3dhO-sn93jEaphre8MptwOURTXAMjGhwhDII3p0I7K-WYrRTitllyq529u_68CoteWK_y5TKa_cQ0StcXje1-VgOYmhy05XO_rD34LoyhrKf6Igy365lE2Bu_wcX-SSGDUwAzMVGu06S-102cI2LGkLCXJhVIOm52Dpt1ywKTv4oxv0p-vFXiabN_DoKpHgae1s_7MlwgYcy8tgR1jSYMUyu2Aaet1EXc-k-BpbrTAbgEorp-LQ0vTlmvtP_HuKWWdKiTxkiZyUbPD31I8AyuYELKpw5clKN-PoRwdNAybvBypEfoHXyd_cmUE9X7rLtedxDPi2GoORx4Sc5GJDkqpMi1MhXm-Rjilqv-DuQEd8Q5Zm1s4BfMPdadZop=w659-h878-no

The actual image URL is obscene:
[special=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6JuW7J7Ye40N5zy1W88fn2ke4t6vXyCv0nAYe7r8KMgyxW9Rc_XFce1bms6qyT8W_3W_ndMgEgJnkVKgcLC0cpB16XKuTGNhwV-hIvu1zVcebkI9Z8vPGgzW6Mc9USXzAllayRfA8-HYbB1awh-f3E04oKLiGtcwoRx8bREyMZMhW5OJ3yjdl7iDmk1AdLM78WG796ISJ01yT2Kq3tHUbTHwKhCYM858teDl9L-rJMl40C0B4_SEp1LFesgy87nShnDyGeM75iHWNMZeX-u9_-Nxxh5Pfduhb_Tf3dhO-sn93jEaphre8MptwOURTXAMjGhwhDII3p0I7K-WYrRTitllyq529u_68CoteWK_y5TKa_cQ0StcXje1-VgOYmhy05XO_rD34LoyhrKf6Igy365lE2Bu_wcX-SSGDUwAzMVGu06S-102cI2LGkLCXJhVIOm52Dpt1ywKTv4oxv0p-vFXiabN_DoKpHgae1s_7MlwgYcy8tgR1jSYMUyu2Aaet1EXc-k-BpbrTAbgEorp-LQ0vTlmvtP_HuKWWdKiTxkiZyUbPD31I8AyuYELKpw5clKN-PoRwdNAybvBypEfoHXyd_cmUE9X7rLtedxDPi2GoORx4Sc5GJDkqpMi1MhXm-Rjilqv-DuQEd8Q5Zm1s4BfMPdadZop=w659-h878-no]%[/special]

Here is the image Attached to this post and hosted by DIYA server. I gave that obscene URL to DIYA, it fetched and hosted, and gives a convenient thumbnail. It is possible to re-code that to an in-line image. However even just 658x878px is really too big. Best to let it pop-up when desired.

Attachments

• IMG_20180103_152541749.jpg
    IMG_20180103_152541749.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 137
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.