Mike new bearing wanted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suggest look to rewiring the tonearm and replace the cable. I've done 2 units, it changed for the better. There's a lot of other mods that can be done to this table that further enhance the sound, but I think other than bearing, its the tonearm rewire that should be prioritized.

If you are unable to track down a Mike's New bearing, there are other alternatives, either Timestep, Funk Spin, or IanMac come to mind. It's possible that Mike's New is the best of the lot (I've never heard one, and they're fairly expensive), but Mike's attitude is absolutely appalling, so I wouldn't want to buy anything from the guy on general principle.

As others have said, there are bigger bang for the buck upgrades for the Technics, mostly involving the tonearm, be it a rewire, improved headshell, or the KAB Fluid Damper, or even a full tonearm swap (Jelco arms seem to be popular for those that can't go all the way to an SME). I tried an Audiomods arm on a Technics once, and while I loved the arm, I was underwhelmed by the Origin Live Armboard and yes even the bearing. Just never sounded as good as the same arm on a belt drive.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.