Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

UK distilled water?
UK distilled water?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2018, 10:01 AM   #21
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

UK distilled water?
I still have my Mamod traction engine
Old 1st February 2018, 12:48 AM   #22
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

UK distilled water?
Strangely I feel compelled to buy one of the nicer stationary engines. Onset of second childhood? Well work is driving me crazy, so maybe hastened..
Old 2nd February 2018, 07:48 PM   #23
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Petrol stations or auto supplies should have what is called "Battery Water" here in Norway..
Filtered, dionised - certainly pure enough for UCs...
Old 5th February 2018, 07:36 PM   #24
HiddenAgenda is offline HiddenAgenda
diyAudio Member

Thanks All

I am getting some De-Ionized Battery water tomorrow at 3.50 it's worth a try. I will get distilled also for a comparison.

Now to find Tergikleen
Old 7th February 2018, 09:42 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

So I bought this

TERGIKLEEN™ Record Cleaning Solution with Tergitol™ Professional Record Cleaning | eBay

and will be buying this for my distilled test

Distilled Water 99.99% Ultrapure CHOOSE your size 50ml-25 Litre **High Quality** | eBay
Old 5th March 2018, 03:59 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

First few runs of my Ultrasonic and I have to say mixed results.

I still hear cracks and pops so I assume this must be actual groove damage

I used Distilled Water used for car batteries and so on and 20 drops of tergikleen. Tank heated to 41.6 and ran for 20 mins.

Have to say the rinsing is ESSENTIAL and even with a rinse I struggled to get the marks off my vinyl, in the end I had to hand clean with Keith monks fluid and vinyl vac.

So yeah, mixed reactions. It did wonders for one track for others really cannot say i hear a difference from my hand clean method with keth mnks fluid and vinyl vac.

How disappointing especially after all that money
Old 5th March 2018, 10:12 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

UK distilled water?
Sorry to hear that, I expect your expectations were set too high by some of the rather over egged descriptions you hear about the benefits of ultrasonic cleaning. First thing to note is that it will not get grease off. Finger prints need a manual step. There has been no real concerted attempts to work out if there is anything ultrasonic cleaning will remove that other methods wont so you are left with speed and convenience, which only come into play when you are trying to clean hundreds at a time. I'd like an ultrasonic cleaner, but I find hand cleaning quite cathartic.
Old 5th March 2018, 10:51 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Sorry to hear that, I expect your expectations were set too high by some of the rather over egged descriptions you hear about the benefits of ultrasonic cleaning. First thing to note is that it will not get grease off. Finger prints need a manual step. There has been no real concerted attempts to work out if there is anything ultrasonic cleaning will remove that other methods wont so you are left with speed and convenience, which only come into play when you are trying to clean hundreds at a time. I'd like an ultrasonic cleaner, but I find hand cleaning quite cathartic.
Oh sorry by marks I mean marks AFTER the Ultrasonic clean left behind by the water and Tergikleen. Perhaps my vinyls are not rotating fast enough and are drying causing the marks.
Old 5th March 2018, 11:11 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

UK distilled water?
That's odd. the surfactant in the Tergikleen should cause water to run off. It's distilled water so no dissolved solids. Must be something about the Tergikleen. 1-2RPM should be fine. Odd.
Old 7th March 2018, 01:04 PM   #30
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

UK distilled water?
I have been thinking about the comments about tergitol, I have multiple record cleaning solutions including a home brew mix of alcohol, water and tergitol and I now tend to gravitate towards one gifted to me by a local dealer rather than the home brew. I use a VPI 16.5 cleaner, it helps but ain't the bees knees either.

One of my friends with a homebrew ultrasonic record cleaner I think uses DI water in his tank with some medical grade cleaner. I have cleaned a lot of records in that machine and I would rate the effect of cleaning as generally subtle, noting that some really dirty records benefit greatly while others don't.

His wash cycle takes closer to 5 minutes.

UK distilled water?Hide this!Advertise here!