Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Turntable Speed issue
Turntable Speed issue
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2017, 10:10 PM   #1
MauMX is offline MauMX
diyAudio Member

Default Turntable Speed issue

good evening,
a dear friend of mine gifted me his grandfather's turntable (i cannot recognize the model). i changed the belt, i put some oil in order to lubricate it properly but i still have some problems: the turntable speed is too slow (not so much) and the pitch regulation has reached the limit.

i decided to remove the bottom and give a look inside in search of some trimmer, i found two of them (33 and 45) but they are not working. inspecting the pcb i noticed a scratch on the board that cut off the two variable resistors.
i really don't know how a FG servo works i found no datasheet for the IC neither for the motor so i decided to ask here for an help

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by MauMX; 5th December 2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 4th December 2017, 10:30 PM   #2
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Turntable Speed issue
Any chance you can attach the pictures rather than hosting externally as I can't view them?
Old 4th December 2017, 10:40 PM   #3
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Any chance you can attach the pictures rather than hosting externally as I can't view them?
Try right clicking them and select 'open link in new window'

Last edited by DRONE7; 4th December 2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 5th December 2017, 01:39 AM   #4
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Check the DC power supply. If that's not obvious, find the biggest electrolytic capacitor in the turntable, replace it, observe polarity.

A weak main cap will not hold full peak AC voltage, give low DC voltage, motor can't hit designed speed.
Old 5th December 2017, 01:42 AM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Turntable Speed issue
There are a couple on that board I would replace as well if you are comfortable with a solder iron or know someone who is.

Observe polarity before removal!
Old 5th December 2017, 02:30 AM   #6
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauMX View Post
good evening,
a dear friend of mine gifted me his grandfather's turntable (i cannot recognize the model). i changed the belt, i put some oil in order to lubricate it properly but i still have some problems: the turntable speed is too slow (not so much) and the pitch regulation has reached the limit.

i decided to remove the bottom and give a look inside in search of some trimmer, i found two of them (33 and 45) but they are not working. inspecting the pcb i noticed a scratch on the board that cut off the two variable resistors.
i really don't know how a FG servo works i found no datasheet for the IC neither for the motor so i decided to ask here for an help
Offhand I don't think you need to know all these things - just seeing those traces cut in the last photo suggests to me that it would work if you jumpered them over and adjusted each trimmer so is runs at proper speed with the front-panel speed control in the middle of its travel.
Old 5th December 2017, 06:53 AM   #7
MauMX is offline MauMX
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Offhand I don't think you need to know all these things - just seeing those traces cut in the last photo suggests to me that it would work if you jumpered them over and adjusted each trimmer so is runs at proper speed with the front-panel speed control in the middle of its travel.
today i will try to fix the traces, then if it doesn't work i will replace some capacitor.
my question is: why are the traces broken? it's quite strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
now they are visible.
Old 5th December 2017, 01:50 PM   #8
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Turntable Speed issue
It appears that these traces were cut with the intention of bypassing the speed control adjustments. Hard to know why it was done (what problem was being solved), but a good start is just laying a cut off resistor leg along the trace and soldering it down on both ends. This should restore the function of the trim pots.

See what the behavior is like when the pots are back in the circuit. Troubleshoot from there, if necessary. If things are still not working, I second the vote to go after caps. After ~15 years, caps are a random element. The goods is they are cheap and plentiful!

Last edited by Eric; 5th December 2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 5th December 2017, 07:41 PM   #9
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Oil! That motor is 39 years old. The oil may have gone stiff. Does it spin freely?
Old 20th December 2017, 07:39 AM   #10
MauMX is offline MauMX
diyAudio Member

sorry, i had to study a lot the previous week for some engineering exams, now i'm back to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It appears that these traces were cut with the intention of bypassing the speed control adjustments. Hard to know why it was done (what problem was being solved), but a good start is just laying a cut off resistor leg along the trace and soldering it down on both ends. This should restore the function of the trim pots.

See what the behavior is like when the pots are back in the circuit. Troubleshoot from there, if necessary. If things are still not working, I second the vote to go after caps. After ~15 years, caps are a random element. The goods is they are cheap and plentiful!
i fixed the traces, but nothing is changed i mean it continues to be a little bit slow and moving the trimmers nothing change. i checked the trimmers with a ohmmeter and they are ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
Oil! That motor is 39 years old. The oil may have gone stiff. Does it spin freely?
it's the first thing i've done, it spin very freely.

anyway i fixed temporarily the problem applying some scotch (0,3mm) on the motor pulley and i reached the correct speed anyway now i have 2 ways:
-reduce the diameter of the bigger pulley
-fix the board

there is another way i think, what about build a regulator with arduino? it should be easy i think, the only problem is that i really don't know how the motor feedback works.

Turntable Speed issueHide this!Advertise here!