Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Otofon 2M Red fake or the brand is no longer reliable ?
Otofon 2M Red fake or the brand is no longer reliable ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2017, 03:28 PM   #1
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down Otofon 2M Red fake or the brand is no longer reliable ?

I want to alert the Diy community about what happened to this product and I would like to know what they think.

I bought a capsule Ortofon 2M Red in Needle Doctor via E-Comerce and when it came time to install it, there were two problems. These inconveniences of the once famous brand have already been reported in other forums ... It is the first and last capsule that I will use from this factory, I already changed my mind ..

1) The needle protector (guard) is not held in place, it falls off! It is totally inoperative.
2) The needle, regulated with the vertical pressure of work indicated, is dangerously close to the vinyl, and as I could see by looking at photos of it on the official page, in the capsule that I have received the needle remains at a height lower than the one that should.
Reading in other forums. I see that my problem is quite common.
Other users have reported similar problems, even in higher models. With respect to the height, it seems that the cantilever moves forward or backward, by a poor fixation of it. This fixation consists of a mini plastic clamp that does not exert enough pressure to hold the rod in its optimum pre-calculated / calculated place.
If we clean the needle with the proper procedure, using the back brush forward, several users have reported up to the cantilever detachment! In my particular case, that did not work, so I had to apply additional pressure acting on the back of it. Now it is in its right place. But I do not know for how long it will be, when I clean the diamond with the brush repeatedly, I have the feeling that your anger is moving forward. This time increasing the height beyond the ideal! .
Why does this happen ?
Are you sending third countries to assemble this capsule?
Therefore, there is no quality control in the models that are assembled outside of Denmark?

If someone from this forum asks me, I will attach pictures and explanatory photos with pleasure !

Last edited by academia50; 4th December 2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 4th December 2017, 06:18 PM   #2
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 Otofon 2M Red fake or the brand is no longer reliable ?
If the needle is no good return it to the retailer.

Simple.
Old 4th December 2017, 07:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
If the needle is no good return it to the retailer.

Simple.
It's a worthless suggestion to me.
Its not that easy......
Old 5th December 2017, 03:04 AM   #4
Hyperman75 is offline Hyperman75  France
diyAudio Member

Hi

I've been using Ortofon cartridges (OMB series, 2M series) for 20 years with no problem.

Today I'm using a 2M Blue with a TEAC 550 turn-table. It works perfect with 2g of tracking force.

The bottom of the cartridge isn't close to the disc.

The needle protector holds in place and I can clean the needle according to the procedure.

I think there is an abnormal big defect with yours with unknown origin. You have to contact your retailer.

Jacques

PS : I'm leaving in France and bought theses cartridges in Hifi stores in Paris.

Last edited by Hyperman75; 5th December 2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 5th December 2017, 02:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hola

Gracias por sus recomendaciones. Son bastante logicas y algo elementales, sin embargo. Esperaba otro tipo de respuesta más de acuerdo a las epocas que vivimos. Es falsa, una imitación ? Es fabricado en China ? Sobre eso no arriesgan ninguna opinión ? Yo escribi a Ortofon y no demostraron la mas mínima intención de resolver el problema. Ni siquiera preguntaron dónde la adquirí....una niña se limitó a responder el mail diciendo que seguramente yo no se poner la cosa ....( creo que se refería al protector , porque ella no conoce a mi esposa.... )
Needle Doctor no respondió vía Facebook hasta ahora.
Ustedes saben dónde está mi país ? Acaso ND me cambiará el cartucho sin pedir que les envíe el defectuoso ? Cuánto dinero gastaré en envío y tramites aduaneros ?
Preferiría comprar un cartridge nuevo de otra marca aquí y me evitaria perder tiempo y dinero.

Sólo quería alertar. No deseo que los usuarios de Ortofón se sientan ofendidos. Jamás pense que una capsula nueva podría tener semejantes defectos. Y he tenido muchas, les mando fotos de las mismas y de lo lindo que luce la Ortofon 2MRed actualmente en mi turntable. Además, yo creo que los vinilos están perimidos , el retorno milagroso es solo un revival pasajero con fines comerciales . Invertí mi dinero en un Sonica Dac, y estoy muy feliz . Sonido analógico pero sin ruidos, y decenas de ventajas más con respecto a los dinosaurios negros y redondos.

Hello
Thank you for your recommendations. They are quite logical and somewhat elementary, however. I expected another type of response more according to the times we lived. Is it fake? Is it manufactured in China? About that do not risk any opinion? I wrote to Ortofon and they did not show the slightest intention to solve the problem. They did not even ask where I got it ... a girl just answered the email saying that I probably did not wear the thing ... (I think she was referring to the guard, because she does not know my wife...)
Needle Doctor did not respond via Facebook until now.
Do you know where my country is? Maybe ND will change the cartridge without asking me to send the defective one? How much money will I spend on shipping and customs procedures?
I would prefer to buy a brand new cartridge from another brand here and it would save me time and money.

I just wanted to alert. I do not want Ortofón users to feel offended. I never thought that a new capsule could have such defects. And I've had many, I send photos of them and how nice the Ortofon 2MRed looks currently on my turntable. In addition, I believe that the vinyls are out of date, the miraculous return is just a passenger revival for commercial purposes. I invested my money in a Sonica Dac, and I am very happy. Analog sound but no noise, and dozens of advantages over the black and round dinosaurs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.JPG (549.7 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (446.7 KB, 461 views)
File Type: jpg 007.JPG (429.6 KB, 455 views)
Old 5th December 2017, 02:49 PM   #6
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

You cant blame the original manufacturer for fake versions...

//
Old 5th December 2017, 03:04 PM   #7
Hyperman75 is offline Hyperman75  France
diyAudio Member

Academia50

you're asking : is it fake ?

How can we know ?

The cartridge should come in a package made by Ortofon, with a little informative booklet and a brush.

If these elements don't look like bad printed copies it should be original.

Jacques
Old 5th December 2017, 03:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Boys ....
I do not think it's an imitation, but the quality of this product leaves much to be desired. I will put here several comments from users with problems.
Start with this, the connection pins are not firmly attached to the plastic body. (and I noticed something of that, it seems that the plastic of the body is not firm, they moved axially!) When you push the plugs of the cables, they slide in! Oh my God ! I have been a user for more than 40 years of cartridges of all kinds, and installed many in the store where I worked, including Ortofón. What this user relates never happened to me with any cartridge. This in addition to unprecedented is a scam. There are no excuses from the manufacturer.

Defective 2M Red? | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
Old 5th December 2017, 03:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperman75 View Post
Academia50

The cartridge should come in a package made by Ortofon, with a little informative booklet and a brush.

If these elements don't look like bad printed copies it should be original.

Jacques

That's right, everything came in its packaging correctly ..... except that the seal label was detached, how can I know if ND changed a good cartridge for another bad one? Remember, I live in Argertina and bought by E-Comerce .....
Old 5th December 2017, 03:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Other.....

ortofon 2M stylus guard warning. - 2 Channel Debate - HiFi WigWam

" The guard on my Black snapped in half one day as I removed it. Looks like it wasn't just my cack-handedness then ! "

" its terrifying removing the guards on these carts....i must admit "

"....and the 'guard' needs a bloody mallet to attach it. Fecking appalling bit of design."

Otofon 2M Red fake or the brand is no longer reliable ?Hide this!Advertise here!