Otofon 2M Red fake or the brand is no longer reliable ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to alert the Diy community about what happened to this product and I would like to know what they think.

I bought a capsule Ortofon 2M Red in Needle Doctor via E-Comerce and when it came time to install it, there were two problems. These inconveniences of the once famous brand have already been reported in other forums ... It is the first and last capsule that I will use from this factory, I already changed my mind ..

1) The needle protector (guard) is not held in place, it falls off! It is totally inoperative.
2) The needle, regulated with the vertical pressure of work indicated, is dangerously close to the vinyl, and as I could see by looking at photos of it on the official page, in the capsule that I have received the needle remains at a height lower than the one that should.
Reading in other forums. I see that my problem is quite common.
Other users have reported similar problems, even in higher models. With respect to the height, it seems that the cantilever moves forward or backward, by a poor fixation of it. This fixation consists of a mini plastic clamp that does not exert enough pressure to hold the rod in its optimum pre-calculated / calculated place.
If we clean the needle with the proper procedure, using the back brush forward, several users have reported up to the cantilever detachment! In my particular case, that did not work, so I had to apply additional pressure acting on the back of it. Now it is in its right place. But I do not know for how long it will be, when I clean the diamond with the brush repeatedly, I have the feeling that your anger is moving forward. This time increasing the height beyond the ideal! .
Why does this happen ?
Are you sending third countries to assemble this capsule?
Therefore, there is no quality control in the models that are assembled outside of Denmark?

If someone from this forum asks me, I will attach pictures and explanatory photos with pleasure !

Last edited:
Hi

I've been using Ortofon cartridges (OMB series, 2M series) for 20 years with no problem.

Today I'm using a 2M Blue with a TEAC 550 turn-table. It works perfect with 2g of tracking force.

The bottom of the cartridge isn't close to the disc.

The needle protector holds in place and I can clean the needle according to the procedure.

I think there is an abnormal big defect with yours with unknown origin. You have to contact your retailer.

Jacques

PS : I'm leaving in France and bought theses cartridges in Hifi stores in Paris.

Last edited:
Hola

Gracias por sus recomendaciones. Son bastante logicas y algo elementales, sin embargo. Esperaba otro tipo de respuesta más de acuerdo a las epocas que vivimos. Es falsa, una imitación ? Es fabricado en China ? Sobre eso no arriesgan ninguna opinión ? Yo escribi a Ortofon y no demostraron la mas mínima intención de resolver el problema. Ni siquiera preguntaron dónde la adquirí....una niña se limitó a responder el mail diciendo que seguramente yo no se poner la cosa ....( creo que se refería al protector , porque ella no conoce a mi esposa....:D )
Needle Doctor no respondió vía Facebook hasta ahora.
Ustedes saben dónde está mi país ? Acaso ND me cambiará el cartucho sin pedir que les envíe el defectuoso ? Cuánto dinero gastaré en envío y tramites aduaneros ?
Preferiría comprar un cartridge nuevo de otra marca aquí y me evitaria perder tiempo y dinero.

Sólo quería alertar. No deseo que los usuarios de Ortofón se sientan ofendidos. Jamás pense que una capsula nueva podría tener semejantes defectos. Y he tenido muchas, les mando fotos de las mismas y de lo lindo que luce la Ortofon 2MRed actualmente en mi turntable. Además, yo creo que los vinilos están perimidos , el retorno milagroso es solo un revival pasajero con fines comerciales . Invertí mi dinero en un Sonica Dac, y estoy muy feliz . Sonido analógico pero sin ruidos, y decenas de ventajas más con respecto a los dinosaurios negros y redondos.

Hello
Thank you for your recommendations. They are quite logical and somewhat elementary, however. I expected another type of response more according to the times we lived. Is it fake? Is it manufactured in China? About that do not risk any opinion? I wrote to Ortofon and they did not show the slightest intention to solve the problem. They did not even ask where I got it ... a girl just answered the email saying that I probably did not wear the thing ... (I think she was referring to the guard, because she does not know my wife...:D)
Needle Doctor did not respond via Facebook until now.
Do you know where my country is? Maybe ND will change the cartridge without asking me to send the defective one? How much money will I spend on shipping and customs procedures?
I would prefer to buy a brand new cartridge from another brand here and it would save me time and money.

I just wanted to alert. I do not want Ortofón users to feel offended. I never thought that a new capsule could have such defects. And I've had many, I send photos of them and how nice the Ortofon 2MRed looks currently on my turntable. In addition, I believe that the vinyls are out of date, the miraculous return is just a passenger revival for commercial purposes. I invested my money in a Sonica Dac, and I am very happy. Analog sound but no noise, and dozens of advantages over the black and round dinosaurs.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    549.7 KB · Views: 506
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    446.7 KB · Views: 498
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    429.6 KB · Views: 496
Boys ....
I do not think it's an imitation, but the quality of this product leaves much to be desired. I will put here several comments from users with problems.
Start with this, the connection pins are not firmly attached to the plastic body. (and I noticed something of that, it seems that the plastic of the body is not firm, they moved axially!) When you push the plugs of the cables, they slide in! Oh my God ! I have been a user for more than 40 years of cartridges of all kinds, and installed many in the store where I worked, including Ortofón. What this user relates never happened to me with any cartridge. This in addition to unprecedented is a scam. There are no excuses from the manufacturer.

Defective 2M Red? | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Academia50

The cartridge should come in a package made by Ortofon, with a little informative booklet and a brush.

If these elements don't look like bad printed copies it should be original.

Jacques

That's right, everything came in its packaging correctly ..... except that the seal label was detached, how can I know if ND changed a good cartridge for another bad one? Remember, I live in Argertina and bought by E-Comerce .....

Other :

Here is the cantilever problem that is displaced by poor fixation. It has to be at the right position , point !
If it is too far out, little signal, if it is very deep, good signal, (but perhaps excessive signal causes distortion) will play on the vinyl at the least irregularity of the same. ,
Ortofon applied a drop of glue on the cantilever fixing on some models to solve this problem ..... brilliant solution ! :eek:

Ortofon 2M Blue, low volume | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Hi

Again I say no problem with my 2M blue, level is correct, diaphonie so, and I get a lot of details in the sound I didn't get with a 2M Red, due to the diamond shape.

I don't believe a single second Ortofon would apply glue or something else to fix a too loose cantiliver...

During more than 20 years I bought in total 6 Ortofon cartridges with no problem at all. Last bought was 2 months ago for a 2M Blue after a 2M Red.

I wouldn't suspect Needle Doctor would provide fakes.

But an accident after Ortofon's factory departure is always possible.

To like or not the Ortofon sound is of course an other question. For my taste I prefer to Shure and ATH but it is my taste.

Jacques

Why don't you contact Ortofon? If you provide details on where you bought it, serial no etc, they might be able to do something about it. I've got several cartridges and Ortofon has always been great quality. Why not send it to Ortofon to have it checked out? I'm sure they will replace it if it hasn't been manhandled and we're actually talking about a production problem.

Why don't you contact Ortofon? If you provide details on where you bought it, serial no etc, they might be able to do something about it. I've got several cartridges and Ortofon has always been great quality. Why not send it to Ortofon to have it checked out? I'm sure they will replace it if it hasn't been manhandled and we're actually talking about a production problem.

Please try to read everything. I have already said that Mrs. Katarina, ((Ortofón employee who answers the technical support emails :D ) says that the problem must be me because I do not know how to place the protective device, and that they are scientifically designed, well, the scientists and the artifacts also fail. , do not you think? Many creatures have been born without parents wish ...:rolleyes:

Other :

There is a third problem that I did not mention: The extraction of the needle to assemble the cartridge is an adventure for few.
I'm talking about the model with bolts and nuts. If you do not remove the protector, you can not put the screws. Ok? That says Ortofón in the instructions and it is clear. Well, look at this sentence :

ortofon 2M stylus guard warning. - Page 2 - 2 Channel Debate - HiFi WigWam

Dorian says :

" I'm a new user with a related question, I hope it's appropriate to post here. If not, my apologies in advance.

I am attempting to install a 2M cartridge for the first time. The instructions tell me to disconnect the stylus from the cartridge before attempting to mount the cartridge. The picture in the instructions indicates I should be able to pulll it off using my thumb and forefinger. I've tried, with no luck. I got it to come off a couple of millimeters but no further. I also managed to break the stylus guard in the process when I slipped (thankfully the needle looks ok). Any tips on how to get the stylus off the cartridge? Lever with the provided small flathead screwdriver perhaps? It is even necessary to remove it? I'm sure I could mount it with the stylus connected, and just leave the guard on (replacement ordered...). "

:eek::mad::eek:

The force to apply to separate the needle assembly from the main body is tremendous! That seems stuck! I also, as the user of the link relates, I had to pry with a tool that penetrates the slot with which we can deform the weak plastic and / or twist the cantilever! Try to do it only with your hands ...... ooohhhh please, accept it and do not defend the indefensible, ;) everything in this cartridge is roughly manufactured!

I don't understand !

You don't need to remove the protector to screw the cartridge on the shell.

But you should use the shortest ones provided in the package.

The protector is hold in place with a little clip at the back end. May be yours is broken.

The needle assembly is easy to remove : you have to apply a little force mainly horizontaly (exactly in the same direction as the cantiliver).

The design made by Ortofon works perfectly.

Obviously yours is broken or it is a fake.

I suspect that your dealer hasn't sold you a new cartridge, but one that has been damaged somewhere, maybe by it's previous owner, then improperly fixed, e.g. by glueing both the cantilever to it's suspension and the needle assembly to the body, and finally returned for refund.

Unbelievable? Well, in it's last issue a renowned German computer magazine reported of unmistakably fake DDR4 memory assemblies that had first been returned to and then sold again by a global vendor that we all know...

Best regards!

Return it for a replacement simple as that. Needle doctor should accept the return. Not sure why you are ranting so much.

Tu no estás seguro de mi disconformidad ? Bueno, si te tomas el trabajo de leer todo el hilo quizás entiendas el porque de
mis criticas y de muchos otros usuarios de Ortofon 2 M Red, o sea que todo tiene su fundamento. Pero no es importante que tú lo entiendas, sino que esten enterados todos quienes ya han visitado este hilo.

You are not sure of my disagreement? Well, if you take the trouble to read all the thread, you may understand why my critics and many other users of Ortofon 2 M Red, so everything has its foundation. But it is not important that you understand it, but that all those who have already visited this thread are aware.

Last edited:
I suspect that your dealer hasn't sold you a new cartridge, but one that has been damaged somewhere, maybe by it's previous owner, then improperly fixed, e.g. by glueing both the cantilever to it's suspension and the needle assembly to the body, and finally returned for refund.

Unbelievable? Well, in it's last issue a renowned German computer magazine reported of unmistakably fake DDR4 memory assemblies that had first been returned to and then sold again by a global vendor that we all know...

Best regards!

No, no,no.
There is no glue there, I share that some representatives
they can do outrages like you do, but this one does not
is the case.
It is a product manufactured outside the tolerances and materials of the original design. In the case of the guard, it was not a very happy design, but the sliding cantilever is something much worse.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.