Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Otofon 2M Red fake or the brand is no longer reliable ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2017, 04:56 PM   #11
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Other :

Here is the cantilever problem that is displaced by poor fixation. It has to be at the right position , point !
If it is too far out, little signal, if it is very deep, good signal, (but perhaps excessive signal causes distortion) will play on the vinyl at the least irregularity of the same. ,
Ortofon applied a drop of glue on the cantilever fixing on some models to solve this problem ..... brilliant solution !

Ortofon 2M Blue, low volume | Steve Hoffman Music Forums
Old 5th December 2017, 06:26 PM   #12
Hyperman75 is offline Hyperman75  France
diyAudio Member

Hi

Again I say no problem with my 2M blue, level is correct, diaphonie so, and I get a lot of details in the sound I didn't get with a 2M Red, due to the diamond shape.

I don't believe a single second Ortofon would apply glue or something else to fix a too loose cantiliver...

During more than 20 years I bought in total 6 Ortofon cartridges with no problem at all. Last bought was 2 months ago for a 2M Blue after a 2M Red.

I wouldn't suspect Needle Doctor would provide fakes.

But an accident after Ortofon's factory departure is always possible.

To like or not the Ortofon sound is of course an other question. For my taste I prefer to Shure and ATH but it is my taste.

Jacques
Old 5th December 2017, 06:55 PM   #13
freebee is offline freebee  France
diyAudio Member

Why don't you contact Ortofon? If you provide details on where you bought it, serial no etc, they might be able to do something about it. I've got several cartridges and Ortofon has always been great quality. Why not send it to Ortofon to have it checked out? I'm sure they will replace it if it hasn't been manhandled and we're actually talking about a production problem.
Old 5th December 2017, 08:37 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebee View Post
Why don't you contact Ortofon? If you provide details on where you bought it, serial no etc, they might be able to do something about it. I've got several cartridges and Ortofon has always been great quality. Why not send it to Ortofon to have it checked out? I'm sure they will replace it if it hasn't been manhandled and we're actually talking about a production problem.
Please try to read everything. I have already said that Mrs. Katarina, ((Ortofón employee who answers the technical support emails ) says that the problem must be me because I do not know how to place the protective device, and that they are scientifically designed, well, the scientists and the artifacts also fail. , do not you think? Many creatures have been born without parents wish ...
Old 5th December 2017, 10:35 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Other :

There is a third problem that I did not mention: The extraction of the needle to assemble the cartridge is an adventure for few.
I'm talking about the model with bolts and nuts. If you do not remove the protector, you can not put the screws. Ok? That says Ortofón in the instructions and it is clear. Well, look at this sentence :

ortofon 2M stylus guard warning. - Page 2 - 2 Channel Debate - HiFi WigWam

Dorian says :

" I'm a new user with a related question, I hope it's appropriate to post here. If not, my apologies in advance.

I am attempting to install a 2M cartridge for the first time. The instructions tell me to disconnect the stylus from the cartridge before attempting to mount the cartridge. The picture in the instructions indicates I should be able to pulll it off using my thumb and forefinger. I've tried, with no luck. I got it to come off a couple of millimeters but no further. I also managed to break the stylus guard in the process when I slipped (thankfully the needle looks ok). Any tips on how to get the stylus off the cartridge? Lever with the provided small flathead screwdriver perhaps? It is even necessary to remove it? I'm sure I could mount it with the stylus connected, and just leave the guard on (replacement ordered...). "

The force to apply to separate the needle assembly from the main body is tremendous! That seems stuck! I also, as the user of the link relates, I had to pry with a tool that penetrates the slot with which we can deform the weak plastic and / or twist the cantilever! Try to do it only with your hands ...... ooohhhh please, accept it and do not defend the indefensible, everything in this cartridge is roughly manufactured!
Old 6th December 2017, 09:06 AM   #16
Hyperman75 is offline Hyperman75  France
diyAudio Member

I don't understand !

You don't need to remove the protector to screw the cartridge on the shell.

But you should use the shortest ones provided in the package.

The protector is hold in place with a little clip at the back end. May be yours is broken.

The needle assembly is easy to remove : you have to apply a little force mainly horizontaly (exactly in the same direction as the cantiliver).

The design made by Ortofon works perfectly.

Obviously yours is broken or it is a fake.
Old 6th December 2017, 09:30 AM   #17
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

I suspect that your dealer hasn't sold you a new cartridge, but one that has been damaged somewhere, maybe by it's previous owner, then improperly fixed, e.g. by glueing both the cantilever to it's suspension and the needle assembly to the body, and finally returned for refund.

Unbelievable? Well, in it's last issue a renowned German computer magazine reported of unmistakably fake DDR4 memory assemblies that had first been returned to and then sold again by a global vendor that we all know...

Best regards!
Old 6th December 2017, 10:52 AM   #18
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Return it for a replacement simple as that. Needle doctor should accept the return. Not sure why you are ranting so much.
Old 8th December 2017, 08:13 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Return it for a replacement simple as that. Needle doctor should accept the return. Not sure why you are ranting so much.

Tu no estás seguro de mi disconformidad ? Bueno, si te tomas el trabajo de leer todo el hilo quizás entiendas el porque de
mis criticas y de muchos otros usuarios de Ortofon 2 M Red, o sea que todo tiene su fundamento. Pero no es importante que tú lo entiendas, sino que esten enterados todos quienes ya han visitado este hilo.

You are not sure of my disagreement? Well, if you take the trouble to read all the thread, you may understand why my critics and many other users of Ortofon 2 M Red, so everything has its foundation. But it is not important that you understand it, but that all those who have already visited this thread are aware.

Last edited by academia50; 8th December 2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 8th December 2017, 08:25 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
I suspect that your dealer hasn't sold you a new cartridge, but one that has been damaged somewhere, maybe by it's previous owner, then improperly fixed, e.g. by glueing both the cantilever to it's suspension and the needle assembly to the body, and finally returned for refund.

Unbelievable? Well, in it's last issue a renowned German computer magazine reported of unmistakably fake DDR4 memory assemblies that had first been returned to and then sold again by a global vendor that we all know...

Best regards!

No, no,no.
There is no glue there, I share that some representatives
they can do outrages like you do, but this one does not
is the case.
It is a product manufactured outside the tolerances and materials of the original design. In the case of the guard, it was not a very happy design, but the sliding cantilever is something much worse.

Otofon 2M Red fake or the brand is no longer reliable ?Hide this!Advertise here!