LP 12 Cross Brace

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone shed some light on wether brass is something to be able to be used in a Turntable Frame/Plinth or a substrate/material to be avoided.
Reason being I'm upgrading the sub chassis & motor supply on my LP12. While at it I've had the plinth made heavier by adding a solid oak outer frame which is dowelled, glued & screwed on, for no other reason than I wanted a more to scale solid oak plinth. Some will say this is an nono no doubt but I'm thinking of using a brass cross brace as it's heavier and more in keeping with the new weight of the plinth. Brass & wood are both used in musical instruments so should be ok in a Turntable? as far as resonance goes?. I've heard good things about using a heavier plinth with an LP12, but equally a theory of light but rigid for turntable construction. Any thoughts be appreciated.

Reason being I'm upgrading the sub chassis & motor supply on my LP12. While at it I've had the plinth made heavier by adding a solid oak outer frame which is dowelled, glued & screwed on, for no other reason than I wanted a more to scale solid oak plinth.

What is your new subchassis and motor supply?

And why wouldn't you simply make a new, thicker plinth - say 25 or 30mm thick - out of oak, to replace the stock plinth (rather than encasing it)?

I've heard good things about using a heavier plinth with an LP12, but equally a theory of light but rigid for turntable construction. Any thoughts be appreciated.

A mate of mine made up a plinth out of 25mm thick 'planks' for his suspended Thorens. He said it delivered a much better bottom end than the stock plinth.

So I had a 25mm thick plinth made for my LP12 ... and I experienced the same thing! :) So thick is good, IMO! :D Pic attached - the wood is oiled Tasmanian Myrtle.

Some will say this is an nono no doubt but I'm thinking of using a brass cross brace as it's heavier and more in keeping with the new weight of the plinth. Brass & wood are both used in musical instruments so should be ok in a Turntable?

I think you're on your own, here! :) Sure, brass is heavier ... but maybe its resonance properties will not be a good thing? And not all wood is used in musical instruments. So you need to experiment.

(If you want a heavy crossbrace - maybe tungsten would be a good idea?)

Andy

Attachments

• New Plinth Installed 002a.jpg
    New Plinth Installed 002a.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 73
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.