Test LP group buy

This is a spinoff from the Turntable speed stability thread. Here we can discuss the technical details and logistics of a future test LP creation and group buy. Especially:

- Signals of the tracks at both sides
- Tools for signal generation
- Selecting the mastering/pressing company
- Organizing group buy
- Options (half speed mastering, etc)
- Any other ideas

We could have a brainstorming what type of test signals are available on other test discs, what of them are useful, what is missing. I believe it should be a measuring tool, so e.g. L/R channel identification and the like are unnecessary.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggestion of tests by Pano
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Track list by luckythedog
Collaborative folder on Google drive
Sign-up sheet on Google drive
Tracklist on Google drive - updated by Pano (see latest version below)
Test LP Progress Tracking
Updated tracklist by Pano

Last edited:
No sign that's the case here.......and, more generally IME, most test records start life fine and good. Perhaps with the exception of attention to hole size/centring.........

LD

In case anyone is interested 180g hi-quality vinyl costs about $11@ at a min quantity of 100. One might also at least get someone's ear that the hole size/centering is important. If 20 folks are considering buying one test LP at $40-50 plus shipping a group buy of just what we want might make sense.

Just a thought, 20 members each get 5 copies at about $65 or so with postage.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested 180g hi-quality vinyl costs about $11@ at a min quantity of 100. One might also at least get someone's ear that the hole size/centering is important. If 20 folks are considering buying one test LP at $40-50 plus shipping a group buy of just what we want might make sense.

Just a thought, 20 members each get 5 copies at about $65 or so with postage.
I'm reminded of the film, 'A Might Wind' where they had a record pressed without a centre hole to save cost on a budget label.............

A Mighty Wind Official Clip - The Record Had No Hole - 2003 | Fandango MOVIECLIPS

But it would be an option to miss out the hole drilling stage, I suppose....;)

For my sins I'm a musician in a band, and last year we had a run of 1000 vinyl records pressed. Mastering was by Pete Norman at Finyl Tweak, and it really was a great job. It matters where it's done and who does it, for sure.

I should have put a few test tones in there..........

On the plus side, I still have 996 virgin copies of the same record for test purposes :rolleyes:

LD

I'd be happy to get my hands on a nice test disc. Freq sweeps, resonance tests, stereo separation tests and other things would be very nice to have. And 45rpm is of great importance to me also, 12" 45rpms <3

One time I talked to a local vinyl manufacturer VinylPlant and I got a quote for 12.16€ per disc for 100 and 4.98€ for 300. Includes DMM stampers, test presses, printed labels and sleeves, packing and packaging etc. The quote was for a nice music release, If fancy color printing and other goodies is to be discarded the cost could decrease a bit. Shipping is pushing the cost per disc to 20...30€ range regardless.

I have no idea about their machines technical specs though.

EDIT: GZvinyl seems to beat everything though, very fancy tech and prices ~

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Maybe a DIY test LP is a keen idea. Worthy of its own thread, of course. If we can discreetly get other audio forums interested there should be enough demand to make the price reasonable.

One nice thing about an open source test LP is that we could publish the original signal files, as well as the mastered files - if that's a help.

Maybe a DIY test LP is a keen idea. Worthy of its own thread, of course. If we can discreetly get other audio forums interested there should be enough demand to make the price reasonable.

My own thoughts exactly, l would be happy to promote the Test LP on the Lenco Heaven Forum as I have been quite active there.

I think most of us have at least 1 test lp so the one we hope to produce need not repeat phase checks, tracking torture tests ect ect. Something very well made is essential (with an accurate spindle hole position!) My own initial thoughts on the tracks would be -

3150 Hz test tone for speed testing and cartridge setting up

Pink and White Noise tracks, the latter to overcome the -10db per decade decrease in energy of the former.

20 - 20Khz Sweep x 2, one with equal energy per octave, one with equal energy per hz.

Silent Track

Those better qualified than me will tell me if the above are possible but my thoughts are for a test lp that can be used for testing cartridge output and frequency response as well as TT and arm performance. Whether there is any benefit to be had from using 45rpm as the LP's speed, again others can comment. (1 side 33 rpm, the second 45 rpm?)

3150 Hz test tone for speed testing and cartridge setting up

Pink and White Noise tracks, the latter to overcome the -10db per decade decrease in energy of the former.

)

All tracks could be generated by computer and verified and exact digital versions could be available as a download. There also should be a pre-discussion of things that were not possible in the past like setting exact crest factors on the noise bands or the possibility of including complex multi-tone signals. Though I suspect the fidelity of anything unusual will disappoint.

Last edited:

One nice thing about an open source test LP is that we could publish the original signal files, as well as the mastered files - if that's a help.

Cost can be quite reasonable, even for ~500-1000 units.

When I was doing it RTI was known as the better of the US providers, but they also had a long wait list.

Now that I consider it I find it odd no one has attempted this before.

I think it would be easy to fill up a group buy, especially so if we offered it on Lenco Heaven as well.

Depending on various fanciness I couldn’t see it exceeding $20 or so, which is still less than half some of the modern test records go for.

There are several members here that have already dealt with small run LP's and I would hope we could find an engineer that would lend a sympathetic ear toward an obsessive requirement for centering of the hole.

As for tracks one that exists on no test LP's is a reference frequency in one channel and a once per rev pulse in the other. I would recommend a single raised cosine pulse that stays inband since there are simple algorithms to place it in time exactly.