Test LP group buy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Scott's on the right track, no vinyl involved as I have pointed out in other places, but not here.

The people purchasing tape from the tape project and elsewhere are committed audiophiles/music lovers - I know several with extremely deep pockets. I just can't see very many people paying a grand for such a disk - collectors occasionally do for rare/vintage recordings.

I don't see the markets for this disk as being congruent and I suspect that a disk that costs significantly more the current crop of audiophile quality pressings (note I said nothing about sound quality) is probably not going to fly.

It'll be interesting to see if it comes to fruition, and if it does I will have to reappraise based on direct experience. (I'll buy a couple)

One of the touted benefits is the process of manufacture is much greener than vinyl record production which isn't too hard to believe.

Edit: It could be a great technology for making test records.. :p

Edit: It could be a great technology for making test records.. :p

IME it would be a miracle if someone could get out an initial catalog of say a dozen releases at less than $300-$500 a copy. There are lots of indie labels doing runs of 1000 at $15 retail, and there some that sound great. We all have heard existence proofs that great vinyl could even be made in the 60's. It's still vinyl surface noise, ticks, pops, warps and all.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thanks. Two questions

1. Looking at the spec sheet for a technics MM I noted that it states that the 100Hz compliance is measured using STR-100. Is there anything in the notes that suggests how this was done?

2. In trying to find a copy of the notes on line in a legible format I came across mention of a wear test track. Any description of that that actually is.

Thanks

Bill

001.jpg

Here is what it says about compliance.

Thank you.

I don't have a hard copy but the wear test is 20k, 18k, 16k, 14k, 10k and 5k tones on inner most and outer most grooves at low levels. The last audible tones on each set should be the same. At my age it's likely I would only hear the 10k and 5k. This test would clearly be better using a recording of the tracks.

The STR 120 has inner, middle, and outer groove 500-50k sweeps that show the frequency losses better.

Last edited:
femtosecond lasers are not vapourware. Cutting a 500m long track with one may be slightly more than has been tried before by a factor of many orders of magnitude.

They are proposing a bit more than that; they are saying the ceramic stampers will be laser cut as "mountains" not "valleys", so a lot of material being removed.

Assuming it works, though, they are eliminating a lot of steps in the stamping process (one stamper of ceramic > vinyl LP vs the lathe cut master > the master stamper > x number of mothers > x number of production stampers > vinyl LP).

Since this is only vaguely on-topic, I won't comment further.

Last edited: