Test LP group buy

Couple of things:
Third: Instead of blank space between tracks we could do what's called a Locked Groove or even a Roulette record. See the description below (Taken from Aardvark Mastering, original here)

Yes locked grove, on each side..with a pitch estimation signal (3150Hz or other that is harmonic with a revolution, could be 2 or 3x 3150 for better frequency resolution)
-> used for estimation of 'off centring' (which could be different on the two sides)

On its own it tells the accuracy of the centring (locked groove means many revolutions can be sampled to suppress/isolate from the speed variation of TT it self as long it is decorrelated with a revolution of the record)

AND if a common marker position (on the same radial across the record) is placed on all or several tracks..then (in theory) this off centring signal can be used deconvolve the off-centring on the other tracks..in essence cleaning the record up to super centring accuracy

common marker on same radial across record, has this been discussed before? .. is it doable to align tracks like that?

wrt accuracies of signal in the looked grove (guess is down to time ref on cutting equipment) ..very best pitch estimation appears with exact harmonic frequency to a revolution.. something off, we get a phase jump in the spline position-> noise in pitch estimation.

Was seeing one pressing plant having a laser inspection - or was it a laser like imaging/modelling of (pre press) grooves - so you could see exactly what was in such a spline or marker position

/Patrick

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Scott Wurcer and I had a long productive meeting today about the LP. There was beer, tacos and coffee involved, so it had to be good.

We are both basically happy with the track list as it stands, with maybe an addition or two. We also talked about technical methods to determine the actual speed of the mastering lathe and the cutting head frequency response. The advantage of this test LP over others is that we should be able to determine those two things very precisely and publish the specs. If there is any error in the cutting speed or the mastering frequency response, we should know it precisely. You won't have to worry about those unknowns, as you would with many test LPs. More about that in another post.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, the primary tests would be done at 33 1/3 rpm.

However, I suggest it is worth being able to try "anti-skate buzzing" tests at 45rpm, just to see if the higher speed requires a different (I would suggest higher) anti-skate setting.

Andy

Question, If there were an anti-skate bias track in the middle of a side, could it not be played at either speed?

Scott Wurcer and I had a long productive meeting today about the LP.

Always good to do something like this face to face. Chris there always was an intent to be able to map our display of speed variation onto the EIA spec.

We also came up with a possible way to verify the LP tracks after production that removes a lot of the confounding issues, I need to make some inquiries before getting hopes up.

There was a running joke in scifi/fantasy movies for a while that involved a corpulent German officer wandering in the jungle with his Wagner and hand crank phonograph.

Herzog too of course but it had to be Kinski. YouTube

One could make some excellent metaphors between Fitzcarraldo and this Test LP thread.

Have you seen Encounters at the End of the World?

In classic Herzog fashion:
YouTube

I was referring to the record collection at McMurdo Base there There's a massive record collection in the frozen wilds of Antarctica - The Vinyl Factory

The 2nd LP in the Telarc OmniDisc set had 5 test tracks on the one side (Piano, Choral, Symphony etc) and two others on the last side for tracking tests (Beach Boys - Good Vibrations & "1812 Overture" - just a pity they didn't have an excellent Jazz track too.)

Adding a 2nd LP to the mix has been raised in the thread previously, but nothing further came of it (or was there a definitive no?) I am definitely not averse going to a 2 LP set. Having a few well mastered, decently cut high quality music tracks would definitely be a bonus. There may well be copyright issues to get around though.

Comments/Thoughts?

Last edited:
Comments/Thoughts?

The problem is we would need a release but also have to carry the copyrights if any forward on our LP. I don't see repeating straight cuts of some commercially released music as having a lot of value.

Pano and I discussed how different the recordings Jan made sound. Simple micing and no EQ or compression at all. Maybe someone here could donate some snippets of guitar or something else?

Perhaps some musicians here could provide some well-recorded instrumental sounds for reference- such as a snare drum, acoustic guitar strings, and so on. Not necessarily “music” but of some utility. Maybe even some ambient / environmental soundscapes, like a city, a jungle and so on.

Then, it will be reference sounds independent of musical taste. Better for a broad audience I would think. I notice that with PMA’s or others test tracks for example Ive heard basically “disliked the music, so didn’t really focus or complete the test.”

I find that snare drums are particularly difficult to reproduce for some reason.

Also bagpipes oddly enough. I have an experimental bagpipe / drum recording which I tend to use as a reference.

Not this particular track, but thought I’d share. As a warning- some of you might find this wholly unlistenable. Scott you will likely appreciate.

YouTube

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Really! Not bagpipes, I was prepared for the worst. This was worse.

Actually, some snare drums, timpani drum, violins, a harp, piano. Individually, they each can tell you something about the reproduction chain. I'm forgetting to mention other useful instruments I'm sure. Pipe up people!

-Chris