Test LP group buy

My turntable dealer uses an oscilloscope and a test record to set the correct anti skate value.
I think he uses a sine wave (don't know which frequency) and when he slides the anti skate lever ( rega turntable) you can see the top or bottom of the wave changing. Most people don't have an oscilloscope so this might be useless.

Thank you for that! :)

I've never tried process that but I do have a 'scope - so I will connect it up to my phono stage one of these days.

Andy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Andy. It would be nice to have a more objective, or at least machine based measurement of the skating. This LP will be aimed at people who have a computer and a soundcard, and know how to use them. :) Oscilloscopes are also welcome.

We do need to have well written documentation about measuring and how to set up the measurements for people who are new to computer measurement.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The Ortofon #1 record has a crosstalk track where they have 0dB on one channel, and the same signal at -25dB / -30dB / -35dB on the other channel. You were supposed to unplug the channel with 0dB, and check if the crosstalk signal is a) as low as possible, b) same low level on both channels.
I found this test to be very sensitive to antiskating as well as verticality of the needle (not shure but I think its called azimuth)

maybe a candidate?

45 RPM and 78 RPM

Er ... I did a quick thread search but ...

Are a basic set of test tracks for 45 RPM and 78 RPM included on the Test LP?

I've got a bunch of 45's and full album size 45 RPM and ... gasp ... a handful of 78's from my ex-father in-law and an old player that has 78 RPM.

:cool:

I guess they should be placed, on the Test LP, in the actual physical position of most small 45's and 78's.

Cheers,
Jeff

PS Can hardly wait til this Test LP is released! However, good things come to those who wait.
;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Are a basic set of test tracks for 45 RPM and 78 RPM included on the Test LP?
Nothing specific at this time. early on there was discussion of making one side 33 and the other 45 RPM. It didn't do very far, tho. As for 78, to really test it the grooves would need to be cut with a different stylus, wouldn't they?

Since 3150 is a common frequency for speed testing, perhaps we could cut a track that would equal 3150 at 45 rpm and maybe even one for 3150 at 78 rpm.

Nothing specific at this time. early on there was discussion of making one side 33 and the other 45 RPM. It didn't do very far, tho. As for 78, to really test it the grooves would need to be cut with a different stylus, wouldn't they?

Since 3150 is a common frequency for speed testing, perhaps we could cut a track that would equal 3150 at 45 rpm and maybe even one for 3150 at 78 rpm.
I've been busy and so absent, soz. Might get a bit easier now...

None of the tracks defined require 45rpm or 78rpm.

One could include short tracks that equate to 3150Hz for 45rpm and 78rpm I suppose.......

HTH!

LD

Last edited:
With respect, Ray, so many peoiple think a blank section of disc is the way to set anti-skate correctly that you need to give the reason why it's no good - so then they can learn. :)
Because friction coefficient between base of the stylus and vinyl surface is pretty much irrelevant. And that is what it measures.

What matters is friction between contact stylus region with the groove, not the base of the stylus and a plane surface.

It just doesn't work and is a waste of space.........IMHO.

LD

There were a couple of comments on 180g with respect to warpage, we need a professional opinion on that. IIRC 140g was a good compromise.

When I spoke with the mastering engineer of the Emil Berliner Studios he told there is so little to be gained from differences in weights and so many way more important aspects that need attention that in his opinion it doesn't matter at all.
I need to look it up again but I believe I already posted excerots of an interview with several mastering engineers / pressing plant techs about this subject and the consens was that 180g vinyl is a marketing gimmick but has no value when it comes to signal quality.