Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Test LP group buy
Test LP group buy
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2017, 03:27 PM   #741
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Test LP group buy
Thanks! That ends up about where La Poste in France does. So much cheaper than mailing it from the USA to Europe.
How is it within the EU? Same rate or lower?
Old 8th December 2017, 11:04 AM   #742
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Test LP group buy
This is the shipping cost for Europe. The attached table shows the rates. Basically, within Germany 6 euros, Europe 9 euros, worldwide 16 euros.
(the first price is for online booking, the second when you go to a DHL office)

Add to this the price for packing (don't know how much) , it looks like one bulk shipment to Europe and then individual shipments to everybody in EU might be the way to go for us, similar to Asia.....
Attached Images
File Type: png DHL shipping 2.png (10.5 KB, 187 views)
Old 8th December 2017, 11:06 AM   #743
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Test LP group buy
Also, shipping 100 LPs from EU to USA comes in at 105 euro, roughly one euro per LP. Not sure how much it is the other way around
Old 10th December 2017, 04:08 PM   #744
Hans Polak is offline Hans Polak  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

For those wanting to measure Wow + Flutter for the combination of TT+Cart+Arm using the 3150Hz test tone on the future test LP, this simulation program made with LTSpice may be the answer.

You need to record at least 6 sec while the 3150Hz is playing, save it in a file and call it 3150.wav.
This file has to be placed in the same directory as the Wow+Flutter.asc file.
You will also have to put the files filter.sub, filter.asy, iec.asc, iec.asy and iec.meas in said directory all in the .zip file below.

The simulation runs for as long as 5.5 sec, first starting to display the results after 0.1 sec, to give the used filters some time to stabilise.
According to DIN IEC 386, measurement should be taken over at least 5 sec, that’s why is chosen for 5.4 sec or 3 LP revolutions.

After the simulation has been ended, activate the drawing section by clicking on it. Then choose “File” in the menubar, “Execute .MEAS Script” and double click on IEC.
The calculated 2 Sigma value according to DIN IEC386 will appear on your screen as the last line of three in the measure file.
In this example it calculated a figure of 0.034%.

This figure varies a bit depending on the LP and the location of the track on the LP. Using a track with 3150Hz near to the end, I got a wow+flutter value of 0.027%, or 20%less !
By further analysing the IEC 386 signal, it becomes apparent that the Cart's resonance, causing FM modulation of the 3150Hz signal, contributes to a significant part to wow+flutter.

So be aware that is not just speed stability of the platter you are measuring but a combination of Platter, Cart and Arm (and LP eccentricity, see below).

In the image,1mV corresponds to 0.1% pitch variation.

The Green line signal called Mod, is a direct measure for pitch variation, also showing that the LP has a calculated off centre hole of ca. 0.19 mm letting the pitch be changing by +/- 0.14% in this case for a trackradius of 13.5 cm.
DIN IEC 386 attenuates this 0.55Hz eccentricity signal by only 15dB, thereby reducing 0.14% to 0.023%, still quite close to this measured 0.034%.
Placing a 0.55Hz notch filter in front of the IEC 386 filter, gives a wow+flutter figure of 0.028% instead of 0.034% proving my point that 0.1 mm hole eccentricity should probably be the max for an accurate wow+fluttermeasurement.

Hans

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flutter-3150Hz.jpg (421.9 KB, 155 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Wow+Flutter.zip (59.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Hans Polak; 10th December 2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10th December 2017, 08:21 PM   #745
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

I havr not been able to follow this thread all the way... are there any conclusions as to when an order can/will be placed? Will this be a personal job by a few, or will DIYAudiostore enter the equations??
Old 10th December 2017, 08:25 PM   #746
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Test LP group buy
Having it in the store could a possibility if the organizers are interested... I haven’t even considered it before now.

There’s one thing I would be sure of, if it was in the store it would almost certainly be more expensive than whatever the group buy price will be. So if you are interested, get in line in the GB once it becomes official.
Old 11th December 2017, 02:26 PM   #747
diyAudio Moderator

Test LP group buy
I'm sure the order will go in next year sometime. I have thought about putting in the diyAudio store, but have not made any inquires in that direction. It seems like a good fit, if we can do it at a decent price. To place the order, 1/2 the cost is paid up front. So that's something we have to organize.
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #748
diyAudio Moderator

Test LP group buy
Hesener and I have looked into getting all the work done in the Czech Republic - and from a price standpoint, it seems to way to go. We might do all the work in Europe, then send portions to the USA and Hong Kong for distribution there.

Could be the easiest, most economical way to go. No idea (yet) about differences in pressing quality.
Old Today, 02:03 AM   #749
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Test LP group buy
Just waiting for the final word on costs and time frame.

-Chris
Old Today, 02:42 AM   #750
diyAudio Moderator

Test LP group buy
Time frame? Next year.
Cost? I think $15. Shouldn't be hard to stay at or below that. The LPs are cheap, it's the overhead we have to control.

Test LP group buyHide this!Advertise here!