Test LP group buy

Tracklist

I compiled the first iteration of a tracklist. Some track can be moved to side B. Disc 2 could be same @ 45 RPM. I can imagine two options: a double set with 33/45, or a single 33 only for those not interested in 45.

Please feel free to edit the tracklist. Any ideas how a vertical azimuth test could be done?

Also please read this article about cartridge tests:

Cartridge tests

Information about Ortofon and CBS test records also attached (@moderator: please remove them if it breaks copyright rules)

Attachments

• tracklist.zip
    9 KB · Views: 43
  • CBS.jpg
    CBS.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 226
  • Ortofon.jpg
    Ortofon.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 227
I compiled the first iteration of a tracklist. Some track can be moved to side B. Disc 2 could be same @ 45 RPM. I can imagine two options: a double set with 33/45, or a single 33 only for those not interested in 45.

Nice one! Good to get a track list established; we now have something which we can evolve.

The double LP idea is a good one with one side at 45 rpm; those tracks that would benefit the most from the greater speed to be included here. And the idea of placing the tone for cartridge setting at the point of zero tracking error is an excellent idea.

You can count me in for a copy!

Does position of tests/bands matter ? I mean some tracks at the start; some at the end near the lable ? Cartridge alignment (null points) tracks is good Idea. But how to achieve it ? With a mono track of certain frequency align cartridge such that two channel are maximum out of phase ? I guess it would require single groove in continuous loop. How about lead out groove having mention of diyAudio forum ? :)
Regards.

We should build a track list in the clear, where it can be seen and read without a download.

Is the use of frequency stepped tones still useful in the age of computer analysis? Wouldn't sweeps do just as well?
I omitted the stepped tones, here is the updated track list. It can be imported in Excel as TAB separated CSV.

Track Signal Channel Level [dBm] Time [sec] Remark
1 1 kHz L+R 0 60 reference level
2 1 kHz L 0 30 crosstalk
3 1 kHz R 0 30 crosstalk
4 no signal - - 60 rumble test
5 440 Hz L+R -6 30 normal A tone
6 20 Hz - 20 kHz log sweep L+R -10 120 frequency response
7 20 Hz - 20 kHz log sweep L -10 60 crosstalk
8 20 Hz - 20 kHz log sweep R -10 60 crosstalk
9 20 Hz - 20 kHz log sweep L+R -10 dB @ 20 Hz, -3 dB/octave 60 f.r. equal energy per octave
10 10 kHz - 50 kHz log sweep L+R -10 30 high frequency test
11 pink noise, 12 dB crest factor L+R 0 (peak) 120
12 white noise 20 Hz - 20 kHz L+R -20 120
13 Blank area - - 30 - 50 mm wide
14 3150 Hz L+R 0 60 speed stability
15 2 Hz - 40 Hz log sweep L+R -10 60 lateral cart-arm resonance
16 2 Hz - 40 Hz log sweep L-R -10 60 vertical cart-arm resonance
17 315 Hz L+R -6 10 lateral tracking
18 315 Hz L+R -3 10
19 315 Hz L+R 0 10
20 315 Hz L+R 3 10
21 315 Hz L+R 6 10
22 315 Hz L+R 9 10
23 315 Hz L+R 12 10
24 315 Hz L-R -6 10 vertical tracking
25 315 Hz L-R -3 10
26 315 Hz L-R 0 10
27 315 Hz L-R 3 10
28 315 Hz L-R 6 10
29 315 Hz L-R 9 10
30 315 Hz L-R 12 10
31 100 Hz square wave L+R -10 60
32 60 Hz + 7 kHz 4:1 L+R 0 60 IMD test

I omitted the stepped tones, here is the updated track list. It can be imported in Excel as TAB separated CSV.

Looks good so far. A couple of comments #9, not sure what equal energy per octave means for a single tone sweep except in the context of an analog tracking filter. At this time I don't think many folks would be using old school analog analysis and it is probably easily synthesized digitally anyway.

Need to decide on equalization possibilities, digital RIAA pre-emphasis would be prefered with wide band flat cutting. Needs the engineer's input.

I would like to see a single silent locked groove somewhere to play around with.

I'm sure more will turn up.

What I use most in the test records I own (Clearaudio, some BBC 7"s, CBS) is a left only and right only 1kHz to adjust azimut for lowest crosstalk and the pink noise and sweeps on the CBS records when I measure my stereo as a complete system using test record as source and put a microphone in front the speaker(s).

Hm, with a bubble I can check if the top of the headshell is level. To adjust azimut I hook the cartridge output up to a HP 400E AC volt meter, left channel into the voltmeter, play the right channel 1kHz tone, then vicew versa and adjust for minimal, even crosstalk.

If you really want to make a large number of these maybe ask your ( as in anyone who wants one) record store guy if he would be interested in stocking some. I'm sure there's plenty of LP lovers that would like to have one. Could even add incentive, sell 10 to record store, get one FREE!

If you really want to make a large number of these maybe ask your ( as in anyone who wants one) record store guy if he would be interested in stocking some. I'm sure there's plenty of LP lovers that would like to have one. Could even add incentive, sell 10 to record store, get one FREE!

Then you would need labels and printed jackets which adds cost. OTOH a fixture in every new hipster neighborhood is an indie record shop.

To adjust azimuth, I use Soundcard Oscilloscope with Ultimate Test Record.

Soundcard Scope

If you have a tube phono as I do, it may not work so well because tube usually have high noise background. I bought a used Rotel phono from eBay for adjusting the arm only. All my cartridges are MC so I need a MC phono to have enough gain. If yours is MM, you may just use cheap pro audio phono for about USD$30.00 such as Behringer PP400.

I use Soundcard Oscilloscope for other things too. If we can cut the tracks for alignments, you can see if two channel is in phase or not. I use same software to adjust anti skating, rumble and table isolation, too.

I have Faber Acoustical Signal Scope for iPad. If you want to use iPad, you need a usb interface. Behringer UCA202. If you want a phono and usb interface comb, you may get UFO202. SignalScope for Mac can export wav file to text file for plotting.

Last edited:
I just stumbled across this thread and would like to share my experiences and concerns.

Number one priority is to get a low run LP cutting facility to understand what we want.

Today, that's no problem at all. Even single cuts (dub plates) can be had at very reasonable prices. Although most dub plates are cut on Vinylium vinyl recorders (essentially a modded turntable), even cutting on prestigious Neumann machines is no problem at all.

They will cut whatever they get.

I would not trust a test record where the entire process was not closely supervised by an experienced master engineer (from mastering, cutting the master, verification, pressing, verification).

I would never do a test record pressing without at least one master prototype that has been verified as working. Understand that pressing will add variations too, so cutting might be the more accurate alternative (although more expensive).

You'll need an experienced mastering guy with close contacts to mastering/pressing facilities and sound technical understanding+equipment for verification of what you want to measure.

Just my few cents.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
So far it looks like the main request are (in no particular order)
  1. 3150Hz Speed, wow+flutter
  2. 1kHz Reference level, distortion, phase
  3. ~10-50kHz sweeps - FR and EQ
  4. Noise pink and/or white
  5. Crosstalk test
  6. Silent Groove for Rumble (maybe locked)
  7. 315Hz Alignment tests
  8. Low sweeps for resonance
  9. Blank area - skating rink

Feel free to copy and add any new ones or comment on what's there.

So far it looks like the main request are (in no particular order)
  3. ~10-50kHz sweeps - FR and EQ
  4. Noise pink and/or white
  5. Crosstalk test
  6. Silent Groove for Rumble (maybe locked)
  7. 315Hz Alignment tests
  8. Low sweeps for resonance
  9. Blank area - skating rink

Feel free to copy and add any new ones or comment on what's there.

Here's my modified list:

3. 2x 1kHz azimuth tracks like on the Analogue Productions Test LP
  4. ~10-50kHz sweeps - FR and EQ
  5. Noise pink and/or white
  6. Crosstalk test
  7. Silent Groove for Rumble (maybe locked)
  8. 315Hz Alignment tests
  9. Low sweeps for resonance
  10. 2nd side is blank - so you can prove to yourself that a blank area is no use for setting bias correctly. :D

Andy