Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Test LP group buy
Test LP group buy
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2018, 01:25 AM   #1531
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Test LP group buy
The only reason for running further down would be if you could automagically extract any information about bearing friction from that, which I doubt. I think that certainly proves the analytic ability of the method.
Old 15th June 2018, 09:41 PM   #1532
Hearinspace is online now Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

Test LP group buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Whitney View Post
The eccentricity has never been a priority in record pressing. It could be caused by bad stamper alignment during punching. More likely the problem is the mould tolerances or alignment. Don't forget, this is old technology.

OK, looking for numbers, about a week ago I spoke with an engineer at Viryl Tech and asked about the tolerance for the center spindle to center hole on their new "Warmtone" machine. That is: as the upper and lower molds come together, the center spindle rod comes up through the lower mold center, through the vinyl biscuit and meets the upper mold as it comes down. (Can see it here.) The tolerance of rod to hole is 0.02mm.

Of course Viryl doesn't make stampers as they are a machine manufacturer (the pressing machines) but GZvinyl gives the center to groove eccentricity tolerance for stampers they produce in this paper and it's given as 0.2mm maximum.
Old 15th June 2018, 09:50 PM   #1533
diyAudio Member

Test LP group buy
On another site I got an advert for these guys the other day Vinyl Carvers | One-off vinyl cutting services | Dubplates

I am exceeding dubious on the quality they can achieve, BUT for 35 it might be worth a punt to try some things out?
Old 15th June 2018, 10:18 PM   #1534
Hearinspace is online now Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

Test LP group buy
They only do one-offs. You mean just to try the track ideas out?

As is stands now for the group buy run and being lazy, my ever so convenient armchair fantasizing is that we could contact GZ, tell them about the project enough that their engineer takes a personal interest in seeing if he can get the stampers right on. Then send them to a plant that uses the Warmtone . . . . . unless of course GZ can match Viryl's tolerance . We'd have to ask.
Old 15th June 2018, 10:19 PM   #1535
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post

I am exceeding dubious on the quality they can achieve,
Quote:
We will always strive to make it as loud as possible.
Just what we need. I'd like to try the spiral 1KHz +- a little track not sure it's worth it by itself but it does not depend on RIAA at all. OTOH a one sided 7" is cheaper

Last edited by scott wurcer; 15th June 2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 15th June 2018, 10:21 PM   #1536
diyAudio Member

Test LP group buy
Basically yes. If their quality is good, then there is a way to perhaps get some of the more contentious tracks made that way for the 2 of us who want them .

I think basically everyone is waiting until we have a cutting house lined up and then we can argue the minutae again. No pressure on anyone at all, of course...

As to the 'loud' part I just take that as DJ freeky Phineas sends in his CD of banging beats and they master as hot as they can within their process. I am sure finesse can be shown if requested.

Test LP group buyHide this!Advertise here!