Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Test LP group buy
Test LP group buy
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2018, 06:58 AM   #1261
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Test LP group buy
Also we are up to 173 copies :-)

And a nice spread from all over the planet... none going to Antarctica yet though.... I vaguely remember seeing a turntable in one of the rooms there in a Werner Herzog documentary.
Old 13th February 2018, 07:40 AM   #1262
wolf_skate is offline wolf_skate  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceistheplace View Post
Couple of things:
Third: Instead of blank space between tracks we could do what's called a Locked Groove or even a Roulette record. See the description below (Taken from Aardvark Mastering, original here)

Yes locked grove, on each side..with a pitch estimation signal (3150Hz or other that is harmonic with a revolution, could be 2 or 3x 3150 for better frequency resolution)
-> used for estimation of 'off centring' (which could be different on the two sides)

On its own it tells the accuracy of the centring (locked groove means many revolutions can be sampled to suppress/isolate from the speed variation of TT it self as long it is decorrelated with a revolution of the record)

AND if a common marker position (on the same radial across the record) is placed on all or several tracks..then (in theory) this off centring signal can be used deconvolve the off-centring on the other tracks..in essence cleaning the record up to super centring accuracy

common marker on same radial across record, has this been discussed before? .. is it doable to align tracks like that?

wrt accuracies of signal in the looked grove (guess is down to time ref on cutting equipment) ..very best pitch estimation appears with exact harmonic frequency to a revolution.. something off, we get a phase jump in the spline position-> noise in pitch estimation.

Was seeing one pressing plant having a laser inspection - or was it a laser like imaging/modelling of (pre press) grooves - so you could see exactly what was in such a spline or marker position

/Patrick
Old 13th February 2018, 02:28 PM   #1263
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Test LP group buy
Hi wolf_skate,
W&F meters want to see exactly 3 KHz or 3.15 KHz. They won't work with multiples, so the frequency for that is fixed by the audio industry.

-Chris
Old 13th February 2018, 02:47 PM   #1264
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Test LP group buy
The software based W&F measurement in Audio Tester I think requires 3.15kHz as does the Dr. Feikert software I use on my phone.
Old 13th February 2018, 02:54 PM   #1265
diyAudio Moderator

Test LP group buy
Really?
Quote:
software based W&F measurement in Audio Tester
That sounds very interesting as it eliminates an instrument from the bench. I really like that idea!

-Chris
Old 13th February 2018, 06:47 PM   #1266
ferret is offline ferret  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I too would be interested in an LP with both 33.333 and 45 rpm tracks, would be an interesting experiment. Added to my count as there might be some guys interested in an LP.
Old 13th February 2018, 09:26 PM   #1267
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Test LP group buy
Scott Wurcer and I had a long productive meeting today about the LP. There was beer, tacos and coffee involved, so it had to be good.

We are both basically happy with the track list as it stands, with maybe an addition or two. We also talked about technical methods to determine the actual speed of the mastering lathe and the cutting head frequency response. The advantage of this test LP over others is that we should be able to determine those two things very precisely and publish the specs. If there is any error in the cutting speed or the mastering frequency response, we should know it precisely. You won't have to worry about those unknowns, as you would with many test LPs. More about that in another post.
Old 13th February 2018, 09:55 PM   #1268
diyAudio Moderator

Test LP group buy
Hi Kevin,
Now that is good news. A big thank you to both you and Scott for taking the time to do this. I feel a lot more confident about the test album now. I wasn't worried about it, I just feel better about it now.

-Chris
Old 13th February 2018, 10:12 PM   #1269
Hearinspace is offline Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

Test LP group buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
Yes, the primary tests would be done at 33 1/3 rpm.

However, I suggest it is worth being able to try "anti-skate buzzing" tests at 45rpm, just to see if the higher speed requires a different (I would suggest higher) anti-skate setting.

Andy

Question, If there were an anti-skate bias track in the middle of a side, could it not be played at either speed?
Old 13th February 2018, 10:35 PM   #1270
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceistheplace View Post
I vaguely remember seeing a turntable in one of the rooms there in a Werner Herzog documentary.
There was a running joke in scifi/fantasy movies for a while that involved a corpulent German officer wandering in the jungle with his Wagner and hand crank phonograph.

Herzog too of course but it had to be Kinski. YouTube

Test LP group buyHide this!Advertise here!