Servicing & Repairing NITTY GRITTY Record Cleaning Machines

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey folks, I recently got back into spinning records and decided to pick up a Nitty Gritty, as I wanted one years ago and never bought it. Right about the same time I got the itch for one, I read of the company closing its doors.

Since the particular model I wanted happens to use an electric fluid pump, I’m wondering what others have used for a replacement when their pump failed.

The old model I picked up (a 3.5Fi) looks to be working OK, with the exception of the “Fi” part. I’m thinking that it should be easy enough to replace the fluid resevoir bottle and original 110-120v pond type pump, with something like a small alcohol bottle and 12v automotive type windshield washer pump, along with a 12v “wallwart” mounted inside to power it.

Any thoughts on this idea? What have you used?

Surprised nobody wanted to comment on this - I’m sure there are more than a few old Nitty Gritty machines still in service, and some must have needed new pumps.

Anyway, the original pump in my 3.5 Fi was made by Beckett, and they still make small pond and fountain pumps. They do look different these days though. A quick search online came up with the least costly one at about $15 plus shipping, so I went and ordered that one. It should pump more than enough to suit record cleaning. Since the original pump was glued to the fluid reservoir bottle with silicone, I decided my new replacement should be attached the same way.
Went to WallyWorld in search of a suitable new bottle. Original looks to be only about a 6 ounce capacity and made of HDPE. Looking for something slightly larger with the same size neck and thread (want to use original cap), and also HDPE. Found an 8 ounce bottle of cheap shampoo for $1.17. Perfect, as it holds just a bit more fluid than the original, and fits in the same location. The new one looks about the same, only taller. The original pump was siliconed in place underneath the fluid bottle, my replacement pump will be glued onto the side (inlet still near bottom), allowing for the taller bottle to fit.

I’ll post again with the results and a picture once I get the new pump in hand. Should be here in a few days.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't have one but years ago built my own record cleaner before finally purchasing a VPI HW16.5.

Glad you are sharing your repair experience, someone, at some point will come along who can use the information.

Next up of course is record cleaning fluids which are a topic in and of itself.

This could become a very useful thread. When I heard that NG was going out of business, I immediately ordered a replacement capstan kit for my 25+ year old Model 2.5. What would be of great interest would be original or equivalent replacements for the capstan motor and the vacuum. I believe that one of the on-line retailers (KAB?) is looking into supplying parts for these machines.

This could become a very useful thread. When I heard that NG was going out of business, I immediately ordered a replacement capstan kit for my 25+ year old Model 2.5. What would be of great interest would be original or equivalent replacements for the capstan motor and the vacuum. I believe that one of the on-line retailers (KAB?) is looking into supplying parts for these machines.

Before receiving the 3.5 Fi, which I recently bought used, I ordered a set of the capstan rubbers, a spindle repair kit and “Vac Sweep” lips from KAB.

No doubt, we can find functional replacements for all of those parts online. Just thinking the capstan rubbers look like some sort of sheet metal chassis plug/foot, the replacement spindle, nothing more than a stub of plastic (KAB’s has a brass tubing sleeve), and the Vac Sweep could possibly be punched from some velvet ribbon; don’t know yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.