Clueless diy'er needs help fault-finding a sota Sapphire...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

My Sota Sapphire is early 80's vintage; it survived the Christchurch earthquake in NZ, needing only woodworking repairs to the plinth (which I did myself) but now has just stopped working, since a recent house move...

I've obviously checked the power supply fuse, which is fine, but need help knowing what to check next. I've got a multimeter (but not much idea how to use it)...pretty sure the power supply is measuring something, but certainly not 24vdc from output...

If the power supply is stuffed, would this work as a replacement?

24V Power Supply DIN Rail 24W, 1A 24VDC Switching 20W UL 120v 220v Industrial

Thanks in advance...

"...measuring something..." is not much of a clue. 2 grams? 13 furlongs?

Not 24vdc. Which is what it should be (i think...?).

Negligible voltage... Something, but not enough. Power supply looks fried. Am trying to source replacement on ebay to save $225 buying one from sota...think it's 24vdc and less than 1A...wondering whether bog standard printer power supply might do the trick? Especially if a litte over 1A?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm not familiar with the SOTA, but are you sure that the only thing in that box is a PSU, no speed regulation circuitry? I'm too lazy/too busy to go check it out in an online search.

Also is the supply AC or DC and was the meter set correctly? If it is truly just a 24VDC supply then anything meeting the minimum required performance will work fine. (as long as you do not wire it up backwards)

Hi.

My Sota Sapphire is early 80's vintage; it survived the Christchurch earthquake in NZ, needing only woodworking repairs to the plinth (which I did myself) but now has just stopped working, since a recent house move...

I've obviously checked the power supply fuse, which is fine, but need help knowing what to check next. I've got a multimeter (but not much idea how to use it)...pretty sure the power supply is measuring something, but certainly not 24vdc from output...

If the power supply is stuffed, would this work as a replacement?

24V Power Supply DIN Rail 24W, 1A 24VDC Switching 20W UL 120v 220v Industrial

Thanks in advance...

pretty sure the power supply is measuring something

I had a Sapphire of that vintage also. IIRC only the 24 VDC power supply is in box - don't think there is anything else for the Sapphire. That 24VDC supplies a 555 timer which provides variable speed control. I've used 317-type regulators set for 24 VDC. I don't think there's anything critical there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.