thorens td 160 replacement motor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i bought my td 160 in 1985 and i have not used it until then. now i got the urge to mod it but the motor seems dead. it cannot turn the subplatter. well it works if i spin the platter for a while, better still if i spin it faster than 33 rpm. where can i find a good and cheap replacement motor?

After a nine year lay up, I think it's possible that the oil in the motor bearings and possibly the main bearing has turned into sticky goo.
Before tracking down a replacement motor it might be worth checking this and re-lubricating if necessary.
The thorens uses a fairly uncomplicated ac synchronous motor (speed of rotation is set by mains frequency) which doesn't fail that often. The fact that it will turn with a bit of assistance would suggest to me that the windings might still be ok.

good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.